• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America Info?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My point Lear, is that if you are hired at VA within the next year, you will most likely be in the left seat before the end of that year. It also would put you in the top of the pilot group for your ENTIRE career which means better QOL.
Very few get the opportunity to start up a good company. Look at the upper echelon of the JetBlue group. You can stay where ever you are, but I will not throw stones at a glass house when Every ALPA carrier has Caved one way or the other! I have friends over there and do not fault them for their choice. Why run to a Major now when they will be furloughed within a year...if these mergers get approved, which they will. YOUR CHOICE!!:cool:

Enjoy your 3 year "Entire Career" at VA!!!

Kind of sounds like the argument of why Southwest's Business model will NEVER WORK!:rolleyes: Analysts like yourself lose site of the big picture!
1) Branson has been waiting years too get into the American market. He will do and spend whatever it takes to keep the airline going. Don't forget that it is his 3rd airline...all of which are doing very well.
2) He has the LARGEST WAR CHEST of any airline EVER started!
3) The pilot cost is nearly ZERO due to the fact that he is getting the training from Airbus FOR FREE!!!
4) His bigger picture is too change the face of domestic airtravel...using the JetBlue model and amping it up another notch.
5) Don't forget about Virgin Galactic. That is right, the space travel is just the tip of the iceberg.
Virgin America is going to force every airline in the US to UP THE ANTEE with their domestic product or fall by the way-side! Only time will tell, but judging from his other ventures I dare say he will have continued success in the Airline business.:cool:

1) Not exactly true. Branson needed Singapore Airlines to buy 49%. If he was doing so well, he wouldn't have needed the cash. He Aussie operation, while launched has been a less-than-stellar performer.

2) That depends on what you call, "started". XJT was the largest airline IPO in history $1 billion raised.

3) Again, not exactly true. All that back office support required to hire and retain a pilot costs money. It is not a ZERO cost item. Believe me, recruitment costs are significant in the skilled-labor retention equation. Furthermore, if indeed Airbus pays for training with the purchase of the jet, they are still paying for it. The price has just been wrapped into the purchase price. Its sort of like when you buy a car for 0% financing. That zero percent is based on a purchase price in a specific range. If you instead want to bargin the dealer down to $300 over invoice, you won't get the 0% deal. In business, you pay or you pay... nothing is free. Common sense, really.

4) The Jblu model is broken. Again, you can't make money in a high-cost industry like airlines unless you charge enough for your product. Eventually, all those cheap seats translate into losses.

Amping it up a notch? You mean like blue LED lighting and Virgin inflight gimmicks? Come on, this is a business, not a marketing excercise. You can lay all the games you want with image but if oil continues to remain where it is, which it will, you have to charge at least the cost of your product, LCCs can't seem to do that as yet.

5) Yeah, whatever. Space travel in a 4-seater jet vehicle. Sure.

The one thing VA has in common with all the other Virgin entities is the pay. Branson continues to pay poorly even in the US. Considering the strong brand recognition, people like yourself feel it's better to work for less if part of a large corporate identity.

Tragic.

Really. Will that happen when there is another startup with pilots(like you) willing to undercut the undercut you took to fly a big plane?

Try respecting the industry....

I am already flying at a "Major" in a larger plane than VA. No matter how you crack it, I will make more at VA in the left seat than where I am in the right for 12 more years.

Glimmer...are you on CRACK? Have you witnessed the amount of service lately here in the US? Obviously not! Here is an example....(hi, have a crappy snack pack full of SH!T or better yet...NOTHING for the next 4-6 hour flight.) Yeah...we are bringing it back to a glimmer alright. Not to mention that the ole hag handing you the food is already receiving Social Security. Nice try...go back to flying your little King air!:rolleyes:

King Air? You mean the BE1900? Yes I am guilty....I flew it so well I could fly it in my sleep with my hands tied behind my back wearing my underwear backwards! 4-6 hours without a snack? You need to fly Continental instead of United and you well get a warm meal (bring pepcid). Yes I do fly for them, yes they are better than VA and Skybus, and yes they are hiring along with NWA, USAIR, Delta, United etc. Dont sell yourself short. Even if you do get a 50% raise there you will not make respectable wage.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back