Virgin America Info?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That never happened to me!

The three toughest years in a pilot's career?

Fifth grade.

Gee...I thought a "scab" was a person who has crossed a picket line to do struck work.

True statement. That word is thrown around a little too loosely. I know a few members of the bricklayers/ tile setters union who would snap a pilot in half if they ever were called that.....if untrue that is.

But we're all so brave on this forum eh?

IMO, Virgin, in its present form, will NOT make it.

Why?

1) No air carrier in history has been successful over the long term by making its labor force bear the costs of the operation. READ: Extremely low pay helps propel the airline to the next level but eventually that poor treatment of employees in a service industry translates to the frontlines and the product suffers.

2) You can't make money in this high oil environment by charging $88 a seat out of SFO. It simply can't be done. Eventually Branson's investors, along with the emloyees, will stop subsidizing people's air travel and stop supporting management's rather uncreative business plan. Reference JBlu... they cannot make money as an airline because their business model is built on cheap fares. You can't continue to lose money forever. In a capitalist society, profit always prevails over all else. Creative destruction results in weaker businesses and industries failing which supports the stronger more innovative models.

3) The training and recruitment costs for any airline are enormous. $30-$50,000 per pilot depending on the carrier. If you create an environment where professional aviators use your company as a revolving door (read: training center) the constant turnover will cost you millions on an annual basis. By this I mean pilots join VA to get the 320 type and flt time then move on when a better opportunity comes along. If you don't pay enough for the retention of your most skilled labor group, it is going to be financially painful in the long run. Couple this with the added dynamic that low-fare/ start-up carriers pay higher salaries to new-hires than the legacy carriers, and one could make the argument that indeed recruitment and training are higher-than-average costs for the start-ups.

All that said, shouldn't this thread be on the LCC boards?

What was Jetblue's starting salaries when they started out 7 years ago?

Fairly certain it was around $90-95 an hour, I applied when they first started advertising on the internet in Jan/Feb of 2000 for pilots and vaguely remember that number.

Adjusted for inflation, $90 an hour in 2000 would be $114 an hour today, 1st year pay.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back