Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Green Banana

Request Direct Honolulu..
I have been invited to interview later this month and am trying to get some information on if this would be a good move for me.

Can Virgin jump seat offline?
Do they have pass agreements with other carriers?
Any word on growth?

Thanks.

Maybe nobody cares!! Why would we care about a low cost foreign carrier that wants to move the bar even lower. Here's an example of VA's credibility;

BA Fined Over Ticket Price-Fixing Scandal
Updated:14:03, Tuesday August 28, 2007 [/font]
British Airways has denied ripping off passengers after being fined a total of £271m over a price-fixing scandal involving Virgin Atlantic...BA and Virgin colluded over pricesThe US Justice Department fined the company nearly £150m, accusing it of colluding with Virgin to hike ticket prices through fuel surcharges which leapt a massive 1,000% in two years.
It said passengers who flew BA flights between the UK and the US during the period 2004-06 paid more for tickets as a result of what it called an "illegal cartel. It also said BA had conspired to suppress and eliminate competition by fixing the rates charged to customers for international air cargo shipments. The fine, and another given to Korean Airlines, are the second largest ever handed out by the department. Earlier the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) handed BA a record £121.5m penalty, after it held illegal discussions with Virgin Atlantic.

The OFT said BA had admitted that between August 2004 and January 2006 it colluded with Virgin Atlantic over the surcharges, which were added to ticket prices in response to rising oil prices. British Airways insists its passengers were not overcharged. Over that period, the surcharges rose from £5 to £60 per ticket for a typical BA or Virgin Atlantic long-haul return flight. BA later confirmed it had agreed to pay the DoJ fine, but Chief Executive Willie Walsh insisted passengers had not been overcharged. He said fuel surcharges were "a legitimate way of recovering costs", but admitted it did not excuse "the anti-competitive conduct by a very limited number of individuals within British Airways. The OFT and the DoJ had been investigating allegations since June last year. The fines end the civil case against BA, but the OFT said a criminal investigation was still continuing.

Virgin Atlantic was not fined as it was given immunity after reporting BA's actions.

It sounds like BA and VA agreed on this fare hike, then VA turns around and blows the whistle on BA!
This is why nobody cares about VA!!!

Source: http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1278066,00.html

Last edited:
Green:

I do not know much about Virgin America's current operations. Some of their Management team were not well regarded when they worked in Flight Operations at ASA and Delta.

These are people you do not want to work for, besides, is the operation financially stable, or just somthing Branson is giving a try that he can abandon the minute he realizes there is more money to be made on his home turf.

Virgin also hired a couple of good pilots and instructors - so I'm not just painting Virgin with the same brush.

Last edited:
I have been invited to interview later this month and am trying to get some information on if this would be a good move for me.

Can Virgin jump seat offline?
Do they have pass agreements with other carriers?
Any word on growth?

Thanks.

Green,

1. Yes, many. Southwest and Frontier guys are great.
2. Not yet.
3. Yes, substantial. Hiring 180+ pilots in 08. Currently about 170 on the list.

You do have a decision to make. I am not going to throw rocks at the other guys here... unproductive and not worth my time.

I am a pilot at Virgin and can tell you that it is the finest group of people I have ever worked with. It is also my 5th 121 carrier and I have chosen it over any other passenger carrier for the upside potential.

Good luck to you.

Abe

Latest resources

Back