• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America hangs as its hedge fund owners get antsy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Before we get a descent contract we have to know what we have first and whats worth fighting for!

Shoot for an "ascent" contract, you will be more pleased with it.

Also Google United Airlines predatory pricing. That's worth the read as well.

Just for the sake of discussion, wouldn't VA also be guilty of predatory pricing because they are selling all of their tickets at a loss to gain market share and the company has never made a profit? There seems to be a double standard here. When a startup carrier that has never made a profit enters a market and severely undercuts the pricing of an incumbent carier that's OK; but if the incumbent carrier reduces their price below the new entrant that's considered unfair and predatory.

I'm not picking on VA specifically here but this is one of the biggest problems in the airline industry. Few if any airlines will price their product at a level that allows for a decent profit margin and everyone is willing to take losses to gain or retain market share. The result is massive overcapacity that ends up getting sold below cost and, in the end, nobody makes a profit. With very few exceptions you end up with an industry full of airlines that are out of business, bankrupt, have been bankrupt or will be bankrupt.

VA entered the US domestic airline industry at a time when the last thing we needed was more capacity. They offered their product below cost and continue to do so which is not a viable business plan. The investors with the "out" clauses would be fools not to pull their money out. The US domestic airline market is about the worst place to invest money that I can think of because of the capacity issue mentioned above, nobody has any pricing power and even the best managed carriers lose money.

It is ironical that the best trained pilot in the world that contributes to make the US the safest place where to fly have to earn the least amount of money in the world (Elsewhere I can attest that a 300 hrs. kadet graduates makes the equivalent of 80,000$ per year baby seating an A340......com' on)
Compiled also with a "disgusting disunity" at the unions levels and even among fellow aviator who choose to go and fly a "real plane" like the A319 undercutting everyone else..
Guys listen to Captain Sullenberger congress hearing and think about it.....

I am not as concerned with VA as I am RAH. 100+ E170/175's and another 100+ 50 seaters. Top fo pay $37/hr and 3 year CA pay $68. SCOPE or you'll wind up like MEH.

Gotta agree Zman...your pay at Airtran is quite good compared to many in the industry. I think a lot of folks are mis-informed. BTW...thanks for so many rides on your planes to and from work during my many years at Midwest. Before being furloughed I rode AirTran countless times and ALWAYS was placed in first class when there was room. And your Milwaukee agents were better to me than our own...thanks!

Ah...the routine sarcasm, and in less than 12 hours! Well done!

What we make at Airtran?? Obviously then your not an Airtran pilot. Here is an interesting site, www.airlinepilotcentral.com, take a look at Airtran pay rates before saying something like that."
"Dont compare VA a regional paid airline with an airline that pays more then most legacy airlines do. Most of Airtran monthly lines are worth hell of alot more then friends of mine at different legacy carriers."

Really...Are you serious? Lets compare VA's "regional" payscale to your "better than legacy" payscale.
Captain F/O
Year VA ATran VA Atran
1 $100 $102 $44 $43
2 $105 $102 $55 $56
3 $110 $106 $60 $61
4 $115 $112 $65 $66
5 $120 $120 $70 $72
6 $125 $124 $75 $74
7 $130 $127 $80 $78
8 $135 $132 $85 $79
9 $140 $137 $90 $79
10 $145 $144 $95 $79

Wow you are sure setting the bar on pay scales are you?

Oh wait nevermind. :rolleyes: Oh yeah. Whats the upgrade time over there?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back