• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America hangs as its hedge fund owners get antsy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Captaining an airliner is not the same as crewing an ocean vessel. Further, we are talking about foreign investment, not foreign airlines operating point-to-point within the US.

Yet...

Ex-felon?

The only US investors pulled out with a nice return.

Really? What kind of return on investment are we talking about? Include sources.

Of course...google virgin america in the news. It is all over there. Both the 2 US banks got 100 % of their initial investment back plus 8%. That is a nice return. The sources are Black Canyon and Cyrus Investment. Google them with VA..you can read all about it. Or if you wish, google Branson and Virgin Industries in the U.K.

Both the 2 US banks got 100 % of their initial investment back plus 8%. That is a nice return.

8% return over 3 or 4 years is a nice return? They would have done much better putting it into bank CD's. I suspect that when they started they were predicting much better than 8%. Well anyway, good for them. But they may well be the very last investors to see any return from VA. I don't see how any replacement investors will dare risk nine figures without a similar minimum performance clause, and how can you possibly stand behind that?

8% return over 3 or 4 years is a nice return? They would have done much better putting it into bank CD's. I suspect that when they started they were predicting much better than 8%. Well anyway, good for them. But they may well be the very last investors to see any return from VA. I don't see how any replacement investors will dare risk nine figures without a similar minimum performance clause, and how can you possibly stand behind that?

You do not have to tell me...but in today's world..8% is an awesome return in aviation. VA is losing tons of money each day and lost millions last year. So, for an investor to get 8% return...is amazing! A deal inked with Branson in order to invest. You are right...this will be the last anyone will make money from VA. VA claims to make a profit by end of this year but, I do not see how with the huge fare sales going on...$109.00 SFO-JFK?? How? I also do not think VA will get any new investors unless they find someone who is into throwing away money.

Another way to make money in aviation is to do what Republic has done at Frontier. Two loans, each producing multimillion dollar closing fees along with a guaranteed rate of return of around 16%. Not bad considering todays investment climate. If BC and Cyrus made 8% and have $150 MM laying around, I wonder if they want to throw it at F9. Unfortunately for us, if they had any inclination to do so they would probably back door the cash through wexford and we would be straight up acquired by Republic.

Another way to make money in aviation is to do what Republic has done at Frontier. Two loans, each producing multimillion dollar closing fees along with a guaranteed rate of return of around 16%. Not bad considering todays investment climate. If BC and Cyrus made 8% and have $150 MM laying around, I wonder if they want to throw it at F9. Unfortunately for us, if they had any inclination to do so they would probably back door the cash through wexford and we would be straight up acquired by Republic.

Don't give 'em any ideas !!! :eek:

Latest resources

Back