Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Almerick07

Professional Surf Bum
So I was cruising around under the PHX class B hopping from airport to airport and when I return to my airport ground tells me to call this number for a possible pilot deviation. Im dumbfounded and dont have a clue as to what I did....so I call. They asked if I was aware that I had busted the class B north of PHX, I said no I was not aware and was not sure how I had done it since I stayed far east in a VFR transition route and kept my altitude low. Anyways we came to the conclusion that he was not sure if it was me or not and said he was not going to pursue this any further and that it happens all the time. Should I fill out a NASA report? It was impossible that it was me but they somehow got my tail number out of the ordeal....suggestions advice?

So I was cruising around under the PHX class B hopping from airport to airport and when I return to my airport ground tells me to call this number for a possible pilot deviation. Im dumbfounded and dont have a clue as to what I did....so I call. They asked if I was aware that I had busted the class B north of PHX, I said no I was not aware and was not sure how I had done it since I stayed far east in a VFR transition route and kept my altitude low. Anyways we came to the conclusion that he was not sure if it was me or not and said he was not going to pursue this any further and that it happens all the time. Should I fill out a NASA report? It was impossible that it was me but they somehow got my tail number out of the ordeal....suggestions advice?

Don't worry about it. Don't fill out a NASA if you know you were in the right. It is only to be used to report actual deviations. Anyway, he sounded cool about it. You obviously had another aircraft close by to you that was the perpetraitor.

thats pretty much the question, should I fill out the NASA if I know I wasnt wrong? He also asked if I was talking to anybody...which I was. He did sound cool about it but a NASA would save my arse if for some reason they did pursue it. I just feel like submitting a NASA report would admit my guilt and bruise my ego. Also I was a minimum of 15nm from the surface shelf and was under any other floor in the area so it really couldnt have been me...just wonder why they followed me all around to get my story.

should I fill out the NASA if I know I wasnt wrong?

Do you know you weren't wrong? Can you prove you weren't wrong if you know you weren't wrong? Do you know if the supervisor watching the guy who seemed really cool is a nice guy as well?

There is nothing lost by filing a NASA report. If you submit it and the FAA doesn't pursue nobody will ever know. If you submit it and they decide to make you prove that aircraft wasn't you, you have coverage.

Personally pride or not, if I thought I might be having a problem whether I thought I was right or wrong I would file the NASA.

Do you know you weren't wrong? Can you prove you weren't wrong if you know you weren't wrong? Do you know if the supervisor watching the guy who seemed really cool is a nice guy as well?

There is nothing lost by filing a NASA report. If you submit it and the FAA doesn't pursue nobody will ever know. If you submit it and they decide to make you prove that aircraft wasn't you, you have coverage.

Personally pride or not, if I thought I might be having a problem whether I thought I was right or wrong I would file the NASA.

Have you ever filled out a NASA before? It is not the same as an ASAP form. It can be used against you if the FAA decides to seek action. This pilot knows that he did not violate the airspace. The issue the contoller had was cleared up with a telephone call. A NASA report should NOT be filed.

Last edited:
I really dont think the issue is going to be pursued any further he said stuff like "i guess we can chalk this up as a leaning experience for both of us" and "the flight profile you described infact does not cross through the bravo" but on the other hand he said stuff like "well we cant be sure it was you at this time" and "this is a pretty serious violation" so i dont know. He did say "im not going to pursue this issue any further to put you at ease with that issue" but I know a guy personally who had that said to him and did get a letter in the mail. I almost think that filing a NASA report is the best thing to do, just incase they do pursue it I will atleast not face the consequences for an action that Im not guilty of....that would suck. Maybe a remark of somesort stating I was possibly the aircraft in question for the deviation. Ive never had to fill out a NASA report before, also the controller I talked to was the supervisor.

1) If you think "should I file a NASA report?" the answer is always "yes I should" unless you engaged in a willful violation.

2) The report goes to NASA, not the FAA.

3) NASA pays the postage.

4) It can only help you should a certificate action occur.

The time for the NASA form (or ASAP) is before they bust you. If you've already made the phone call (or have been informed that you need to), it's too late.

I'd stick to your guns, note who you were talking to, find witnesses if able. I got out of a Class B violation once because I had a witness who could verify my position at a checkpoint.

Latest resources

Back