• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Venezuelan Russian-made Flankers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From the little I've read and seen, it's flat out eye watering. It's surpassing all expectations and they are finding new and mysterious ways to exploit it's capabilities.

Magnum can answer better than I.

Dave, you're still a ********************ing tool. Don't talk, ever again. If I ever hear you say anything about the USAF and their ability to conduct CAS again I just may go out of my way to track you down and punch you in the face.

Oh, and get that Trident down. You're not a team member, I seem to remember it being proven.

Sh*tty AF CAS aside SIG, if MAGNUM is so freaked out by the superior airplanes and pilot training of our adversaries, he needs to get a nice REMF job. That shouldn't be too hard for him to do in the AF.

SU-30 is a fairly capable aircraft, but I would doubt Venezuelan AF would be very good at exploiting it. Doesnt matter what the aircraft can do, if the pilot cant.

I do have some photos of SU-30s, and videos of them taking off, that I illicitly filmed once. I once even saw one go down the runway in flames. Another time, one pass under my nose, with two off the wing. Too bad I didnt have my camcorder that time.

I think the best in South America would be Chilean F-16 pilots.

Last edited:
Sh*tty AF CAS aside SIG, if MAGNUM is so freaked out by the superior airplanes and pilot training of our adversaries, he needs to get a nice REMF job. That shouldn't be too hard for him to do in the AF.
Ya, I've seen first hand how "sh1tty" my USAF bros conduct CAS in Afghanistan and Iraq. They've got nothing but respect from me. You're a troll and deserve a kick to the throat.

Poser. You're not even a Seal.

Last edited:
Seriously, from some of you guys who really know, is the Raptor really that good?

Yes.

Dave is a dick. I've been in the military as long as he claims, and I'm still on the front lines. REMF that, azzhole. Man up, DG, and tell us where and how you really serve. No secret on my part. You?

There's no shame in being a SWO. Just admit it.

Adding my voice to the chorus of people who have fought the Raptor and believe that it's capes *exceed* the hype it gets.

After Gen. Carlson's "politically incorrect", if possibly strategically correct, public statement (when he said that the air force would find a way to get around the Pentagon to get 380 Raptors, and joked that 380 Raptors were "a compromise" from their desired 381), the Air Force is looking for a compromise, and are asking by saying, "Pretty please with sugar on top."

<H3>USAF Leaders Prefer More F-22 Raptors

Mar 6, 2008
By Michael Bruno
Prodded specifically by the Senate Armed Services Committee chairman for their personal opinions, U.S. Air Force Secretary Michael Wynne and chief Gen. T. Michael Moseley allowed that their own preferences would be for additional F-22 Raptor fighters and an alternative Joint Strike Fighter engine.
The top two Air Force leaders repeatedly stressed their support for President Bush's fiscal 2009 budget request and outyear defense budget planning. Moreover, during the Wednesday hearing in front of the SASC they noted profound efforts to "salute smartly" in response to all budget-making guidance from White House and Pentagon superiors.
But explicitly asked by Chairman Carl Levin (D-Mich.) to offer their personal assessments, Wynne and Moseley made clear their own desires for more Raptors and an alternative JSF engine. The Air Force leaders suggested the SASC chairman ask them for their personal opinions after Levin grew momentarily frustrated with their hesitation to respond to his direct questions on the issues.
The secretary said he believes the minimum number of Raptors needed to meet future requirements is probably the previous estimate of 277. Moseley stated that he personally does not believe that the official Defense Department plan for just 183 of the Lockheed Martin-made fighters is enough.
"No, sir," the chief of staff told Levin when the senator asked him.
Both men also allowed that a second JSF engine could be a smart move by Washington, citing engine experiences with F-16s. Wynne acknowledged that the "business case" for a second JSF engine undermines such an effort on that specific cost analysis, but the question for defense leaders and lawmakers might be more one of confidence in meeting capabilities rather than strict budget concerns.
"Affordability can't always be the rule," the secretary said.
Indeed, highlighting redundancy and reliability above cost concerns played a major role in Wynne's explanations for more Raptors, in light of planned JSFs, as well as another JSF engine. He recalled being able to rely on F-16s when F-15s had to be grounded after longeron failures were identified last fall following an F-15 crash.
Moseley said the Air Force tries to craft its official budget request following affordability guidance provided from above, but it also stands ready to answer where further dollars would be best spent. "We owe you what we believe it takes," the chief also said.
Regarding an alternative JSF power plant, Moseley suggested that the Air Force's concerns revolve around protecting the JSF program to roll it out to the other armed services and allies in time, rather than necessarily scuttling efforts toward a second engine.
Both men maintained that the service should get an additional $20 billion annually over proposed budgets in order to truly meet all the demands placed on it, including matching growing needs from burgeoning land services, which the air service leaders said they support.

</H3>http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gene...ders Prefer More F-22 Raptors&channel=defense

Did I read that wrong, or are they pushing for a SECOND engine in the JSF? As in two engines instead of one?

Latest resources

Back