Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DaveGriffin

Registered Self-Abuser
Since the AF fighter guys are telling us the Flankers are such sh*t-hot airplanes, and since we don't have a full load-out of F-22s due to budget constraints, will the USAF be willing and able to offer assistance and provide air supremacy for our Columbian allies if we get the call?

Just sayin'

Since the AF fighter guys are telling us the Flankers are such sh*t-hot airplanes, and since we don't have a full load-out of F-22s due to budget constraints, will the USAF be willing and able to offer assistance and provide air supremacy for our Columbian allies if we get the call?

Just sayin'

I would love to fly the Flanker as it appears to be very maneuverable as well as "overpowered" (if there is such a thing for fighter aircraft). However, after it's been doing the duty for 30+ years and garners a 100+ to ZERO kill ratio it will have earned it's place in history. And just because a third / second world country can afford a serious weapon doesn't mean they know how to use it.
And I wouldn't be surprised if you saw some very neat Raptor gun footage on CNN / Fox after that little bout...

Look up the EM diagrams if you have access, it's not as impressive as they play it out to be.

Flat out speed yes, beyond that, it's a pilots fight.

No, your link was the first time I've seen it, but I like it.

I was responding to comments made in this thread
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=109144
where AF fighter guys crybaby about how scary the bad guy's equipment is, the USAF not having enough top-o-the-line airplanes and threatening to quit if they don't get what they want.

The F-15 is a great fighter, just old. As it goes up against Su-30 MKKs, MKIs, improved MiG-29s, F-10s, and, later, the Su-35 and -37, it just doesn't have the edge any longer. Ditto for the Block 50/52. People are catching us. Oh, and their pilots fly 1.5-2x as much as we do.

Those of us flying the fast movers DO care about all that stuff. If we, as the pilots, ever start to feel that our lives are put at risk to save cash, then we'll start to see a pilot shortage. If our elected "leaders" look at the problem and say, "hey, we can lose up to 4 F-16CJ's and their pilots until we hit the cost of one F-35, let's do it," it'll be a sad day. That's when me and a lot of my bros quit flying.

The AF has been in overdrive recently trying to get their credibility back, with little success, even after playing the broken F-15 card and touting our potential enemy's superior airplanes and training. I keep expecting them to redesignate the Raptor the F/A-22, as it was originally when they were trying to get the concept approved.

Now, after the recent indignity of seeing our Sailors take the lead in Space, the former sole domain of the AF, with the satellite shootdown from a USN warship using just an ant-aircraft missile, they really need to put their PR machine in high gear.

Last edited:
Just a disclaimer - I wasn't trying to comment on whether it was a good idea or not, but I found it interesting that Dave Griffin posted that idea about the same time the article appeared on the Weekly Standard website (I saw it from a link provided by the Aviation Week Ares blog).

Last edited:
Seriously, from some of you guys who really know, is the Raptor really that good? I have heard and seen lots of positive stuff, is it PR or true? Not asking to reveal any secret stuff...

Seriously, from some of you guys who really know, is the Raptor really that good? I have heard and seen lots of positive stuff, is it PR or true? Not asking to reveal any secret stuff...

From the little I've read and seen, it's flat out eye watering. It's surpassing all expectations and they are finding new and mysterious ways to exploit it's capabilities.

Magnum can answer better than I.

Dave, you're still a ********************ing tool. Don't talk, ever again. If I ever hear you say anything about the USAF and their ability to conduct CAS again I just may go out of my way to track you down and punch you in the face.

Oh, and get that Trident down. You're not a team member, I seem to remember it being proven.

Latest resources

Back