Using your Aviation Degree to get out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most of us have the same thought.

Go to trade school and become a plumber or electrician. Then at least you could fix your own crapper or install surround sound for friends.

I just paid $95 for the service guy to tell me I am using too much soap in my dishwasher. All he did was turn on the dishwasher and he saw soap. The cure run the dish washer rinse to clear the soap.

PS - those dishwasher tablets are way too much soap = overflows and residue on dishes. Break them in half. Nobody wants residue on their dishes.

Last edited:
I've actually had 3 friends that went to law school with an aviation degree. Most people don't work in the career field where they got their degree....

Most places only care that you have it. I mean really, what good is a Poli Sci or History degree (if you aren't planning on teaching)? Just having the paper will usually suffice in my experience.

Has anyone ever, or know someone who has successfully used their degree in aviation to get out of the industry and get a good job doing something else? Or is it pretty much a given that you have to get a new degree or skill?

I know numerous people that are no longer in aviation that graduated with an aviation degree. You are selling yourself short if you think in the mindset of "I am a just a pilot that fly's an airplane from point A to B". Don't listen to the idiots on this board that probably have never had to try and find a job outside of aviation. If you want out, you are a very marketable individual, you just need to understand what your strengths are.

Good Luck!

Besides having a degree in business, one thing I did notice when I went to a community college to work on and obtain my A&P. Many other industries were interested in the skills of A&P students; my class had twenty-five students and only one other student that I know of went into aviation. You mention the railroads, you may want to look at the utility companies and other industries that require techinical skills. You may catch a break. Good luck!

did your aviation degree have a business, or any other emphasis?

If you are looking for an equally professional position and salary, you will make your life easier initially w/ a Masters of some sort. As was said- the degree is a good segue for any number of advanced degrees, depending on your interests.

There is still at ATC shortage. There are still many jobs in airport and facilities management. Port authority management. Gov't jobs as well as a/c management and sales.

The mistake is feeling that ever so democrat-like feeling that you're stuck and can't do anything else. There is nothing farther from the truth- but you have to put your running shoes back on and get the learning curve back high again.

Easy money is usually a myth.

Besides having a degree in business, one thing I did notice when I went to a community college to work on and obtain my A&P. Many other industries were interested in the skills of A&P students; my class had twenty-five students and only one other student that I know of went into aviation. You mention the railroads, you may want to look at the utility companies and other industries that require techinical skills. You may catch a break. Good luck!

What did the other 24 end up doing? I'm an out of a job pilot with an A&P rating and not having any luck finding anything.

Latest resources

Back