Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FYI to all:

Ualdriver makes some good points.

You would be surprised how people react to you knowing you can manage an aircraft.

After being furloughed once and looking down the gun of another furlough, I am pursuing my master's degree. I am a little different than most in that I have a bachelor's in accounting.

Let me tell all pilots. You have many skills. We multitask very well, we can listen, (even though we ignore passengers or FA that are driving us crazy), we take directions well, decision making is not a problem and learning new information fast is not a problem. We are also use to last minute changes and do not go crazy over this.

Pilots are a unique group. I tell everyone this. Sometimes are worst enemy is ourselves. Plus we don't really like be managed. We like to go out do our jobs and be let alone.

Good luck to all that are either changing career by choice or because this crazy industry makes. Just remember do sell yourself short. Their are many things we can do.

Last edited:
I know numerous people that are no longer in aviation that graduated with an aviation degree. You are selling yourself short if you think in the mindset of "I am a just a pilot that fly's an airplane from point A to B". Don't listen to the idiots on this board that probably have never had to try and find a job outside of aviation. If you want out, you are a very marketable individual, you just need to understand what your strengths are.

Good Luck![/quote

Riddle grad.

Heyas,

This is SO true. Most US universities are CROAKING for US citizens to enter math, science, engineering or related graduate programs.

Most PHd programs give you a full tution waiver, books, fees, medical and a stipend of 26-30k year.

Nu

Hey, how about some more info on this. Specifically, which universities and programs. Just asking for... um... a friend :)

CE

Hey, how about some more info on this. Specifically, which universities and programs. Just asking for... um... a friend :)

CE

Heyas CE,

Here is the gouge for your, uh, buddy...

If you are REALLY interested in this track, you have to have an undergrad degree in math, science, engineering, or something along those lines (something ITish also works). You also have to have had fairly decent grades...>3.2

If you didn't, all is not lost, but it will take some money out of pocket. Additionally, if you want to go into a grad program that your undergrad wasn't specifically in, you might need to take a few pre-recs first.

In either case, you can take some undergrad classes to play catch up. This can be done any local 4th tier college (someplace just a step above the local community college).

Once done, you need to take the GRE. You need to score at least 1100, but 1200+ would be better.

Almost ANY 4 year university needs PhD students, like yesterday. Find something you are interested in, and order up some material from schools you might want to go to. You'd be very surprised at the reception you get.

PM me for more details.

Nu

To the OP- start at the base of a company you want to work for. Go like hell. You'll see quickly you're better than everyone else. Get promoted. Repeat. Get promoted again.

I always had a hand in my second career while I was at Skyway, just in case. Last April, when I realized I would be going nowhere for the next 5 years, I bailed for my current job. I started at the bottom, but I let my intentions known to management, and delivered every time. First promotion in four months, six for the second. Many companies really don't understand the aviation thing. You just have to sell your decision making and 'team' skills. If you are a quick study, you can do anything with your degree. You just might have to start at a lower paying position to get that chance.

I know numerous people that are no longer in aviation that graduated with an aviation degree. You are selling yourself short if you think in the mindset of "I am a just a pilot that fly's an airplane from point A to B". Don't listen to the idiots on this board that probably have never had to try and find a job outside of aviation. If you want out, you are a very marketable individual, you just need to understand what your strengths are.

Good Luck!

I don't know, I've been seriously trying for months now to get out, with my aviation management degree, and I'm getting nowhere. Now I'm sure the economy isn't helping, but the reality of my situation is that I'm being told my degree isn't worth crap, especially given my narrow field of experience, limited mostly to aviation and flying.

This isn't for a lack of trying, I'm trying for all kinds of jobs - and here's the bad part - most don't pay all that well, and I'm still getting stonewalled. In each case, either my degree isn't recognized as being worth anything, and/or my lack of experience outside this field is hurting me big time.

I've come to the conclusion that I either need to get another degree in something useful, or use what I have as a basis of working towards an advanced degree, neither of which I really wanted to do. So for now, I'm mainly looking for a job which will allow me a schedule to go back to school.

Thanks for the encouraging posts though. I'm finding it very difficult to transition out of this world, and it's good to hear that some have done well in doing so.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I'm in the process of making the transition from aviation to business. I will complete my MBA this December and have had great luck in leveraging my flying background to the business world. It simply takes communicating the valuable skills we as pilots have to prospective employers. Pilots have a lot to offer that is difficult for employers to find in applicants from other backgrounds.

For what it's worth, I'm in the process of making the transition from aviation to business. I will complete my MBA this December and have had great luck in leveraging my flying background to the business world. It simply takes communicating the valuable skills we as pilots have to prospective employers. Pilots have a lot to offer that is difficult for employers to find in applicants from other backgrounds.

congratulations, and good luck to you.

About three years ago I was looking into the tech schools at welding certification.

I have a 1988 BA in Lib. Arts. Was considering grad school, but flying and going to school don't go well together, particularly when you commute into bad schedules. I was also looking to recoup income lost rather quickly, and not sell my house. I was also looking to work for myself, and not for "the man." The tech school I was looking at took 9 mos. 4 days/wk. 3 or 4 hours/day.

Welders can make $70K plus within a couple of years, assuming they're not morons and have all the certs.

Luckily, I had put quite a bit of money in savings before ATA shut down. My wife found a job within 3 mos. I took another mo. Both are 50% paycuts. (Was going to be about 3 mos. but it fell through.) My present position is unsat, but it's given me some breathing room.

There are other careers out there. I all depends on what you're willing to give up to do it.

The hardest I've ever worked was while being unemployed and looking for work.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back