• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Using your Aviation Degree to get out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most entry level type jobs only require a 4 yr degree in what ever!!! Then work your way up from there and from what people think there are alot of employers that like pilots since they have alot of work experience in a professional field with alot of multi tasking. The ability to get thru your ratings and get hired at an airline takes alot of hard work and determination a skill that employers WANT!!! It shows you can learn and be trained to be succesfull. I wouldnt sell anyone short on trying to find a job if you have a 4 yr degree.

Aviation degrees are the biggest scam around, perpetuated by money grubbing colleges like ERU. An Aviation degree and $3.00 will buy you a cup of coffee.

A few years ago in Chicago, I saw a ad in the classifieds for Six Flags Great America. Position was for a ride Technician. At the bottom in Bold letters it read, "A&P preferred".

Still, I think having a degree you would be marketable in something. Just find something you're interested in and give it a try. Afterall, the worst they can say is no.

My two cents

I realize the below is easy for me to write because I currently have a job, but I'd like to throw my two cents in.

First of all, I don't know about you guys, but I get annoyed when I read people post that you can either "fly airplanes or flip burgers for McDonalds or greet at Walmart." What a bunch of crap. The people that write that are either selling themselves short or perhaps are the few whose only skills would allow them to fill those types of jobs. I KNOW that doesn't apply to many of the pilots I come across.

Unfortunately at UAL, I have had the opportunity to fly with many jr. F/O's who found themselves on the street during furlough#1. For those who got non-flying jobs, they almost always ended up landing on their feet. Maybe not right away, but many were able to find non-aviation jobs that they were able to support their family on. You're a college educated professional. I don't care what your degree is. You were responsible for a multi-million dollar aircraft and the safekeeping of 10's of thousands of passengers. Unless the economy goes completely tit$ up, I bet most will find something.

But let's say you don't. You got a college degree before. Can you not get another one? Is there NOTHING else but aviation that interests you? I feel bad for you if you have no other interests. It's probably not going to take you 4 years to get another Bachelor's Degree, especially if you're young and just out of college. Have you looked at your local community college? The ones in my area charge $30/credit hour and have some Associate Degree programs that you can acutally make a living with AND have in your back pocket in case oil goes back to $200/bbl. some day and you find yourelf on the street.

How about a graduate degree? It may take you a couple of years to take the standardizing testing, to get into a program, and then to complete the degree. Maybe you can complete your education during these economic doldrums and perhaps be looking at a better economy 2 years down the road?

How are you going to pay for this? Does your State's unemployment benefits help pay for retraining? Have you heard of the Hope and Lifetime Learning Credits? Could you work any job just to pay tuition for a couple of years in order to obtain education or training that actually is in demand?

For those of us that currently have jobs.....I know many financial planners tell their clients to have 6 to 9 months of living expenses set aside in case you lose your job. For airline pilots, that's not nearly enough. We have a special profession that has unusual carrer path progressions. If an accountant loses his $60K/yr. job, chances are he'll be able to find a job that pays something resembling that figure within 6 to 9 months. If an airline pilot loses his $60K/year job, chances are he'll be making $20K/yr. when he starts over at his new airline OR will have to WALK AWAY FROM THIS CAREER, either for a few months, years, or permanently. Figure out what it is going to cost you to completely walk away or start over at 20K/yr. Have that figure set aside in cash. It's amazing how stress free your life will become when you have that figure sitting in a liquid account.

I think airline pilots have to always have the mindset that they may wake up one morning and their job is *poof* gone. This mindset should go with the profession just like Christmases in Cedar Rapids and proficiency checks. If you take the time to sit down, figure out what you would do if that really happened, and have a plan (and the cash) to execute that plan, I bet most airline guys would lead much less stressful lives. That money also makes for an ample strike fund should that day ever come in your career.

And for God's sake, stop disparaging your fellow pilots by reinforcing the ridiculous "walmart/McDonald's" stereotype.

RANT OVER.

Most entry level type jobs only require a 4 yr degree in what ever!!! Then work your way up from there and from what people think there are alot of employers that like pilots since they have alot of work experience in a professional field with alot of multi tasking. The ability to get thru your ratings and get hired at an airline takes alot of hard work and determination a skill that employers WANT!!! It shows you can learn and be trained to be succesfull. I wouldnt sell anyone short on trying to find a job if you have a 4 yr degree.

Not to mention that typically pilots do not have a problem making decisions. We do it all day long. Most employees in corporate America are afraid of making a decision because they might be held accountable.

How about a graduate degree? It may take you a couple of years to take the standardizing testing, to get into a program, and then to complete the degree. Maybe you can complete your education during these economic doldrums and perhaps be looking at a better economy 2 years down the road?

Heyas,

This is SO true. Most US universities are CROAKING for US citizens to enter math, science, engineering or related graduate programs.

Most PHd programs give you a full tution waiver, books, fees, medical and a stipend of 26-30k year.

Nu

Heyas,

This is SO true. Most US universities are CROAKING for US citizens to enter math, science, engineering or related graduate programs.

Most PHd programs give you a full tution waiver, books, fees, medical and a stipend of 26-30k year.

Nu

Most corporations will also pay for a graduate degree while you work.

There are so many ways to get more education for no cost/low cost.

Your first mistake was thinking you needed an aviation degree to be successful in aviation. Your second is thinking you need another degree to be successful in something else. Pick something you enjoy and just go do it. And yes, that is what I have done myself.

Most of us have the same thought.

Go to trade school and become a plumber or electrician. Then at least you could fix your own crapper or install surround sound for friends.

This is actually an excellent idea.

Plumbing, electrician, welding, auto-repair . . . all of these jobs are pretty portable, in demand, and pay decently. A/C repair is seasonal but very much in demand in certain parts of the country.

Latest resources

Back