• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAPA wins...Pilots lose

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Laws are not retroactive in this country. The law only applies to mergers that take place after its signing. It doesn't apply to mergers that are two years old already.

Thank the good lord nothing in my aviation career has ever depended on US Airways. Hope that good fortune keeps up. What a disaster of a company!

Ain't that the truth !!!
PHXFLYR:cool:

I was dead set on keeping ALPA on the property. That is until you began to chime in. Thanks for changing my mind and voting ALPA out. You deserve a medal.

PCL doesn't even fly for USAir. Why would you care what he says? You were ALPA, just like you will be USAPA. If you don't like the results, look in the mirror.:puke:

Vote results:

ALPA - 2254

USAPA- 2723

Thanks to the 400 or so guys on the East for voting for ALPA, I guess you're all not dumb.

Good Luck everyone.

Nothing like reaching out to save a drowning victim and all they do is grab you and pull you under.

Godspeed to ALL the pilots at AWA. I'm tired of seeing more airline pilots out of work.

(17Apr2008) FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Scott Theuer
April 17, 2008 US Airline Pilots Association
877-678-7272 x706

The US Airways pilots are one of the most senior and experienced pilot groups in the United States..

Is it just me or does AAA really need a dictionary?

How can a pilot be "senior" if there are no pilots underneath them?

They continually confuse longevity with seniority.

I'll ask this again- There is almost 10 years difference between the bottom recalled pilot and the first new hire in august. Their longevity is very different. Their seniority is virtually identical. Did that new hire STEAL 10 years of seniority from the furloughee?

Don't fall for DOH- our screwed up seniority system doesn't allow for that type of merger-

How many 45year olds from AAA are there that complain and complain how they are 20 year pilots who lost 16 years of seniority. Do the math? That 45 year old isn't 16 years older than the average pilot they were slotted in with.... They were hired in their mid-20's into Fokkers- New hires now are hired in their mid-30's b/c all the Fokker sized airplanes were scoped out to mesa and psa. Noone has looked out for the seniority of the young guys and you want us to be so concerned about yours?

They continually confuse longevity with seniority.

That's been their problem from the beginning, and they still refuse to acknowledge it.

As a former USAir pilot, I watched this with interest. About the only argument that I heard from the pro-ALPA side was that an independent union was incapable of providing the support that a national union could, forgetting that there are some very successful independent pilot unions (SWAPA, APA, UPS). Not once did I hear any acknowledgement of the very visible mistakes that ALPA had made over the years (pensions, B-scales, crossing of other unions picket lines, age 65 and the general fall of U.S. pilots from the highest paid to some of the lowest in the world, etc.) or that some kinds of change might be appropriate. Add to that a large enough number of pilots who thought that they really had nothing left to lose and the result is not surprising at all. While I question whether USAPA has a legal leg to stand on regarding overturning the arbitration, there is a large enough number of pilots from the east that don't have much else to lose by giving it a try that they were able to de-certify the union. This in itself is a prime example of mismanagement of the process by ALPA national (and ALPA USAirways).

On this and other forums, I have heard more angry and sometimes incomprehensible rants from the AWA pilots than from the east side. While I acknowledge the argument that the arbitration was agreed to and binding, I have never once heard an AWA pilot acknowledge that a large number of east pilots might have been unfairly disadvantaged by being put below west pilots who had less than 2 years with the company or who were not even out of grammar school when those east pilots were hired. By not addressing that issue, whether they legally had to or not, they helped to achieve this outcome.

Regarding the west pilots not contributing to the new union; I'm no expert but I believe that laws exist (or it just might be contractual language - I'm not sure) that require even pilots who choose not to join the union to contribute some amount for the administration of their contract or face termination.

Whatever the outcome, I don't think that anyone will disagree that this has been a complete mess - and it's a mess that certainly started with ALPA.

On this and other forums, I have heard more angry and sometimes incomprehensible rants from the AWA pilots than from the east side.

I'd attribute that to the Pickleball Baby Boomers being as confused by the "internets" as they are by the definition of "binding arbitration".
If they weren't angry, this never would've happened.
If they were comprehensible, then the train wreck that's coming wouldn't have left the station in the first place.
They probably did their voting on Jitterbug cell phones.....:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back