• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAPA wins...Pilots lose

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To all of the AWA crews I flew with as a former AWA dispatcher, I sincerely wish them the best of luck.

I think this is just the uncircumcised tip of the John Holmes Memorial screwing you are about to get...

Nothing but malice will come from this decertification; and that the UAL Summer of Love 2000 Style will look like a big Kum-baya convention in relation to the lovefest which is going to be USAirways.

I think Dougie was drunk the day he signed the merger agreement; for in all actuality, had it not been for AWE, USAir would be nothing but another memory; and this is the thanks you get, a rodgering the likes before you have never seen...

Last edited:
As a former USAir pilot, I watched this with interest. About the only argument that I heard from the pro-ALPA side was that an independent union was incapable of providing the support that a national union could, forgetting that there are some very successful independent pilot unions (SWAPA, APA, UPS). Not once did I hear any acknowledgement of the very visible mistakes that ALPA had made over the years (pensions, B-scales, crossing of other unions picket lines, age 65 and the general fall of U.S. pilots from the highest paid to some of the lowest in the world, etc.) or that some kinds of change might be appropriate. Add to that a large enough number of pilots who thought that they really had nothing left to lose and the result is not surprising at all. While I question whether USAPA has a legal leg to stand on regarding overturning the arbitration, there is a large enough number of pilots from the east that don't have much else to lose by giving it a try that they were able to de-certify the union. This in itself is a prime example of mismanagement of the process by ALPA national (and ALPA USAirways).

On this and other forums, I have heard more angry and sometimes incomprehensible rants from the AWA pilots than from the east side. While I acknowledge the argument that the arbitration was agreed to and binding, I have never once heard an AWA pilot acknowledge that a large number of east pilots might have been unfairly disadvantaged by being put below west pilots who had less than 2 years with the company or who were not even out of grammar school when those east pilots were hired. By not addressing that issue, whether they legally had to or not, they helped to achieve this outcome.

Regarding the west pilots not contributing to the new union; I'm no expert but I believe that laws exist (or it just might be contractual language - I'm not sure) that require even pilots who choose not to join the union to contribute some amount for the administration of their contract or face termination.

Whatever the outcome, I don't think that anyone will disagree that this has been a complete mess - and it's a mess that certainly started with ALPA.

Gillegan -

That was about the most rational viewpoint I've seen expressed here. Unfortunately, that sort of intelligent input isn't well tolerated here on FI.com.

BC

The arbitrators decision will never be overruled, no way, no how. Those who think it can/will be overturned do not understand the first thing about binding arbitration. Unless it can be shown that fraud was involved, or that the arbitrator grossly misinterpreted a law/contract, then the ruling will stand forever and ever.

Want a recent real world example. Netjets mmgt got a ruling from an arbitrator a couple years back that they didn't like. What did they do? They appealed it three times, all the way to the federal district court level, and lost all three times, paying the union's expenses the whole way. Each time, the judge on each case became a little more perturbed with Netjets mmgt for even bothering to appeal the ruling over and over again.

Here's a little something from the final ruling:

Because reviewing courts are bound by the facts as found by the arbitrator, the following
summary is largely based on the fact statement in the decision of the Board. As the Supreme Court held in United Paperworkers International Union v. Misco, Inc., 484 U.S. 29, 38 (1987), “an arbitrator must find facts and a court may not reject those findings simply because it disagrees with them.” Indeed 45 U.S.C. § 153 First (p),(q) of the RLA provides that “the findings and order of the
division of the Adjustment Board shall be conclusive on the parties.”

Don't believe me, look it up, it's all part of the public record.

Netjets vs IBT case #06-3851

Nothing like reaching out to save a drowning victim and all they do is grab you and pull you under.

Godspeed to ALL the pilots at AWA. I'm tired of seeing more airline pilots out of work.

Thanks Cobra. Appreciate the sentiment. Whats really sad in all of this especially when one considers all the mergers headed our way is that in their zeal to decertify ALPA, the easties have unwittingy created a template to bust the union that would make Frank Lorenzo's chest swell with pride. And the damn thing about it is , you can almost say that it's beautiful in it's simplicity, if nothing else. Just make sure that your side has more pilots on your roster than the other side does . Have a bitter, ignorant, ill-informed workforce who thinks the world owes them a living, start a decert drive and - PRESTO - ALPA gets shown the door. Nice ,huh ?? :rolleyes: Good luck in your endeavors with Delta. I sincerly hope that they are a little more amicable and realistic in their attempt to hammer something out at the table with you guys without the need for Mediation or Binding Arbitration than the goons we were unfortunatly paired up with were. I wish you and all my ALPA brothers and sisters at both NWA and Delta Godspeed ,fair skies and tailwinds in your merger ahead.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
Correcting.

That is true, and that is the problem with binding arbitration, even when the arbitrator makes a mistake its virtually impossible to fix. And Arbitrators do make mistakes, plenty of them.

The mistake this time was the lack of fences. The fairness of a merger is NOT determined by the seniority number of the parties invovled. NO ONE will even like their seniority number unless they are top dog.

Fairness in a merger is generated by fences. THat is what protects the career expectations of pilots. The aging of a list is what is protected by a fence.

Had there been a realistic fence between the east and the west then the easties would have had their time of service respected with a career progression similar to what would have happened as a stand alone.

West could have fixed this by fencing off the USair bases, even after the award. Instead the arbitatrator made a mistake and the Westies got just as greedy with the mistake as the Easties were in the initial negotiation. They decided they were going to steal all the retirements out east for themselves. Well congrats, now you are USAPA

Cheers
Wino

I'm beginning to see why you chose "Wino" as your screen name.:rolleyes:

PHXFLYR:cool:

Been through more mergers than you, from both sides of them, I know of what I speak.

Diss me any way you want, but I am not an employee of your airline, and I took the time to read the WHOLE award, and it is seriously flawed.

East was greedy first, West was greedy last. Looks like you made your own bed and the result is entirely predictable.

The Award may stand, but who says SENIORITY will have to be used for bidding in the next contract, maybe the language will be written so LONGEVITY determines bidding.

A simple fence around Philly would have solved all your problems (if of course you guys really meant it when you said the westies had no interest in going East to fly) Could have easily been done AFTER the arbitration award and you wouldn't be in the mess you are in today.

Cheers
Wino

PS The independant Unions have been doing pretty good lately. UPS AA Southwest... Maybe ALPA's time really has come and gone. I think they got too wrapped up in the regionals to be honest with you.

Last edited:
Diss me any way you want, but I am not an employee of your airline, and I took the time to read the WHOLE award, and it is seriously flawed.
So then you're smarter than arbitrator Nicolau? The Award wasn't flawed; you just disagree with it because you likely favor DOH.
East was greedy first, West was greedy last.
If simply realizing a binding arbitration is actually binding makes us greedy in your view I can live with that. The sky obviously isn't blue in your world.
A simple fence around Philly would have solved all your problems (if of course you guys really meant it when you said the westies had no interest in going East to fly)
Wow, so simple? Why didn't the arbitrator think of that? I can tell you: fences don't protect from furloughs. A DOH integration would've made 3/4 of the AWA pilots furlough-fodder.

The lessons of NW/Republic and OZ/TW are that long-term fences only prolong the misery and divisiveness of mergers. That's why Nicolau only put a two-year fence. People like you apparently love divisiveness.
Could have easily been done AFTER the arbitration award and you wouldn't be in the mess you are in today.
Ah, yes, the time-honored tradition of blaming the victim. It's all the West's fault because when the East didn't like the arbitrated list we didn't bow to their every desire. You're worse than my ex-wife. (Actually I'm not divorced but y'all understand the sentiment.)
PS The independant Unions have been doing pretty good lately. UPS AA Southwest... Maybe ALPA's time really has come and gone.
OMFG, you think those unions deserve the credit for their airline's prosperity? When an airline is prosperous every pilot loves their union. But when things get tough everyone looks to their union to fix everything -- an impossible job. Just look at the USAir Easties: everything that happened to them was ALPA's fault. I feel very comfortable making this prediction: very soon everything will be USAPA's fault. Scapegoatism is alive and well in the East.
I think they got too wrapped up in the regionals to be honest with you.
Now that's funny. I'm sure every regional pilot agrees with you that ALPA has paid way too much attention to them.

PS The independant Unions have been doing pretty good lately. UPS AA Southwest... Maybe ALPA's time really has come and gone. I think they got too wrapped up in the regionals to be honest with you.

one problem....those unions are unified..this has no chance

Latest resources

Back