USAPA wants $'s for marksman........

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Occam:

There isn't a single "guess" in my post, so I am wondering where you got that.

The point is how the weapon discharged....there is a cause and an effect. Had he violated the SOP and not had a discharge, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Not being an FFDO, I am not privvy to certain parts of the SOP and don't think discussing them here is a good idea.

So since you are so up on this, please explain how it happened.

A350

Occam, if I may......

It happened because he DIDN'T FOLLOW SOP, NUMEROUS TIMES.

No doubt in my mind that if this were an AWA pilot, USAPA would do jack for him so I also find the request for $ a bit repugnant.

Occam, if I may......

It happened because he DIDN'T FOLLOW SOP, NUMEROUS TIMES.

No doubt in my mind that if this were an AWA pilot, USAPA would do jack for him so I also find the request for $ a bit repugnant.

I agree, and its actually even worse than that. Those same folks pleading for benevolence for an east pilot are attempting to financially ruin 18 individual awa pilots by suing them for such 'crimes' as web board posts. A federal judge dismissed the suit with predjudice, and they are appealing the ruling. Repugnant indeed.

Last edited:
I have flown with numerous FFDO pilots and not once have I ever seen one take their gun out of the holster on the ground once underway much less in flight.

I see them secure the gun once parked at the gate after setting the brakes at the gate and I see them preparing the gun for use once the cockpit door is closed but before pushback from the gate.

Never have I seen one handle the gun at any other time.

This yahoo at US Airways needs to be gone. We don't need to waste the good name of United States airline pilots defending or helping this guy. You have to draw the line somewhere. Not everyone is worthy of saving.

Denny/NWA redtail:

You are of course entitled to that opinion....however, the union can't make that distinction without violating its duty to represent.

Whether it is ALPA or USAPA, they don't have a choice.

Pilots violate SOP every day....whether it is intentional or not. The only reason this guy is in the hot water he is is because something bad happened as a result.

A350

Whether it is ALPA or USAPA, they don't have a choice.

Concur!

Unions have an obligation to defend their members...even their willfully negligent members.

I don't think that's the issue here. I appears USAPA is grieving the termination.

Issues:

1. Was the termination justified?
2. Should we cough up $$ to help him?

Correct answers:

1. Yes.
2. Voluntarily...sure.

Pilots violate SOP every day....whether it is intentional or not. The only reason this guy is in the hot water he is is because something bad happened as a result.

Ya think?

It's called "risk management".

He failed. Spectacularly.

He chose to invent his own procedure(s) for handling his weapon, and the dangerous consequences prevented by compliance with the SOP he signed, occurred.

A design flaw didn't make the gun discharge. His violation of the SOP did.

Occam:

I don't agree that this in and of itself is a slam dunk termination. I have seen many a pilot who deserved it and was fired only to be reinstated for a reason that had little to do with the fact that his termination wasn't deserved or reasonable.

Second point...again, many a pilot has done this and worse and while terminated, was helped by his peers because most realize they don't want their career judged by one moment in time.

I stand by my earlier comment.....we all have had days we wish we could forget and if you haven't you probably will. So it is better to learn and help than to learn, criticize, and kick someone when they are down.

A350

Occam:

I don't agree that this in and of itself is a slam dunk termination.
A350

Let's change the facts just a bit without going in to too many specifics. Let's say the gun discharged when it was being secured back in it's proper place after the completion of the flight on the ground when the pilot is supposed to store the weapon. What should happen then? Would that be classified as an accident? Should he be 'fired' in that case?

Let's change the facts just a bit without going in to too many specifics. Let's say the gun discharged when it was being secured back in it's proper place after the completion of the flight on the ground when the pilot is supposed to store the weapon. What should happen then? Would that be classified as an accident? Should he be 'fired' in that case?

Some how i think that could be forgiven easier.....
i don't know the sop's other from what i see in a daily routine (and i don't think they need to be spelled out in a public forum), but that would be more of an accident than being classified as being stupid with a firearm (in flight)..... just my honest opinion.

Latest resources

Back