Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
[/b]Can you provide further details?

In a nutshell....

This captain had his holster unsnapped and the gun was pulled out of the holster slightly resting on the tray table. FFDO procedures basically say that the only time you unsnap and remove the weapon out of the holster in a cockpit is when you have a threat. THATS IT.... he then supposedly put the lock in the holster while it was unsnapped (at around 8000 ft) and then he pushed it in and tried to snap it. AAAANNNNDDD there you have yourself a nice hole in the side of the airplane. Imagine if the gun was pointed the other way on the tray table....

And we're suppose to feel sorry for this guy and "donate" money to a 24 year USA captain? Ha....

Enjoy the unemployment line with the guys you're going to screw in a couple of months buddy....

In a nutshell....

This captain had his holster unsnapped and the gun was pulled out of the holster slightly resting on the tray table. FFDO procedures basically say that the only time you unsnap and remove the weapon out of the holster in a cockpit is when you have a threat. THATS IT.... he then supposedly put the lock in the holster while it was unsnapped (at around 8000 ft) and then he pushed it in and tried to snap it. AAAANNNNDDD there you have yourself a nice hole in the side of the airplane. Imagine if the gun was pointed the other way on the tray table....

And we're suppose to feel sorry for this guy and "donate" money to a 24 year USA captain? Ha....

Enjoy the unemployment line with the guys you're going to screw in a couple of months buddy....
Actually, he had it stowed up behind the joystick...or whatever you Airbus guys call it. Apparently there's a space right next to the "joystick" where the gun (in the holster) fit really snug. His logic was that he could just reach up and pull the gun out quickly if he needed it.

Everything else you said was right.

Bottom line is that he chose not to follow SOPs and he fired his gun. Its that simple. Should he lose his job? I don't know. I do know that he took his chances and now he's paying the price.

No one can say that this was an accident or that "this could happen to anyone." If he had followed procedure he'd still be flying now.

Actually, he had it stowed up behind the joystick...or whatever you Airbus guys call it. Apparently there's a space right next to the "joystick" where the gun (in the holster) fit really snug. His logic was that he could just reach up and pull the gun out quickly if he needed it.

Everything else you said was right.

Bottom line is that he chose not to follow SOPs and he fired his gun. Its that simple. Should he lose his job? I don't know. I do know that he took his chances and now he's paying the price.

No one can say that this was an accident or that "this could happen to anyone." If he had followed procedure he'd still be flying now.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He should burn for shooting an innocent "fifi" ;). And its a side stick....:D

Seriously ....

The FAM told us he had it resting on the tray table pointing to the left side of the aircraft and had it unsnapped and pulled out a little, so that he could get to it and "draw" it faster. Either way ......

I am not an FFDO, but this is also the story I have heard second hand around the patch. We all know folks who like to invent their own whacko procedures, it's too bad Barney Fife's was a bit more deadly than most...

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He should burn for shooting an innocent "fifi" ;). And its a side stick....:D

Seriously ....

The FAM told us he had it resting on the tray table pointing to the left side of the aircraft and had it unsnapped and pulled out a little, so that he could get to it and "draw" it faster. Either way ......
I see what you're saying. He had it on the tray table when it went off. Ok. I do know that he was using some little space near the "sidestick" to hold it in flight. At least that's what our guys told us.

If he had just kept it on his belt, though...

Everyone screws up in life, it's humn nature, but to screw up with a firearm can be deadly.

MD
And it can be be even worse to screw up with a plane full of people. You're right though, Sh*t happens. There is a contingent of pilots on here who would have you believe they are totally immune to making mistakes. Therefore, "Screw 'im! Dumb bastard gets what he deserves."

I hope those same morons feel that tough when they f*ck up themselves.

Stuff didn't just "happen", this clown set himself up by violating multiple federal guidelines. He gets a swift boot to the butt.

It isn't like they were flying into some busy airport and got a clearance screwed up. The guy blatently broke the rules. It wasn't an accident but rather it was negligence. To be honest I'm indifferent as to whether or not he gets his job back.

I'll admit that I'd like to know if he was a die-hard USAPA supporter. Knowing that will definitely affect how much support I'm willing to give him. Yeah, I know. I'm gonna have a bunch of East guys give a hard time for saying that. But anyone with half a brain knows that's exactly how the East guys would be reacting.

What would happen to a FAM or cop if they fired their guns off in the plane?

And it can be be even worse to screw up with a plane full of people. You're right though, Sh*t happens. There is a contingent of pilots on here who would have you believe they are totally immune to making mistakes. Therefore, "Screw 'im! Dumb bastard gets what he deserves."

I hope those same morons feel that tough when they f*ck up themselves.

You wouldn't be saying that if the gun was pointed in the other way when it went off and shot the FO..... Sh!t does happen to everyone and we all make mistakes, but this was stupidity. We're suppose to carry the weapon (wear it on the belt) WITH THE GUN ALWAYS SNAPPED. Do you get it? NEVER EVER SHOULD IT BE UNSNAPPED, unless you have a threat in the cockpit. THATS IT..... Like someone said earlier.... this wasn't an accident, it was stupidity and negligence. And if you wanna call me a moron for thinking this guy should be fired then fine, but I'd bet my paycheck that you wouldn't think the same way if that bullet caused a death in that "accident"......

Net

Donations

If you wish to donate to the US Airways Pilots' new independent union, please follow the directions below:

To donate by credit card, click the donate button (please be sure and enter your employee number

in the appropriate field):

pixel.gif

To donate by check/money order, make checks payable to "USAPA,: put your employee number

on the front and send to:
Mark King

USAPA Secretary/Treasurer
5821 Fairview Road
Suite 119
Charlotte, NC 28209

For questions about donations contact : [email protected]

Latest resources

Back