• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAIR Capt denies JS to SWA commuter!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BECAUSE UNLESS YOU BROUGHT A TICKET OR ARE ON A NON REV PASS, YOU ARE RIDING UNDER JUMPSEAT PRIVILEGES, THAT'S WHY!

I may get whipped for this, but why does the Captain have "full authority" over seats in the back? I can completely understand control over cockpit seats from a security or distraction point of view, but how does having another pilot "riding" in the back with the rest of the pax affect the almighty Captain? If the "jumpseater" (a poor term in my opinion) is intoxicated or causing a disturbance the Captain should have the right to reject him/her, just like he does with any other pax. Seems to me that the seats in the back should belong to the company and Captains that put anyone off that would be sitting in back should have to justify their actions. Personally I think that once you're verified in CASS the agent should be able to issue a boarding pass and that should be the end of it. Why does a Captain even need to know that you're there? Probably yet another arcane FAA rule with no basis in reality.

Now I know that you traditionalists will probably fry me on that point, but maybe it's time to look outside of the military-like world you believe airline flying should be. It aint the military, despite the goofy uniforms they make us wear.

I understand your are upset and have a right to be. That being said this public attempt to intimidate the Captain is misguided. I doubt that at the time you told the Captain, to his face, that you planned on soliciting a public campaign to smear his name if he didn't do what you wanted. Apparently your "request" for the jumpseat had an "or else" clause. I would guess that YOUR behavior after the fact has broken more jumpseat ethics then his actions.

Ifn dat US Airwayz cat did dat, datz jus freaaaking bad kharma, yeah likez someday an stuff maybe dat cat gunna be an FO fer da SWA guy, or maybe dem catz see each udder on da highway an US Airayz cat gotza flat, and wehn he be needin sum LUV, datz wehn da Kharma gunna git eeeven!

I'll concede that the Captain has the absolute right to be a dick. His airplane, his rules. HOWEVER, that doesn't exempt him from public ridicule and scorn for making a bad call. Go ahead Cap'n, exercise your authority all you want. I'm not questioning your authority to make the call, I'm just calling you out for being a dick. If you deny me for no valid reason other than you can prepare for me to tell everybody else what you did because I can.

Caveman,
EXCELLENT post. Sums it up. I just wish his name was posted so I could help him understand the concept IF he ever was to solicit MY jumpseat or apply for an interview, which would not be out of the norm in todays airline enviroment.

I don't think it was tasteless or cowardly in the least. I think he was being very professional about it. It sounds kind of like you're quite a tool yourself for defending the original "doosh"bag...

Let me guess...you don't commute. And you were picked on as a kid, so you try and get back at people by denying jumpseats to guys just trying to get to and from work...

Be a professional and take the next flight. Then talk to your JS coordinator.

Threatening to give his name out to whomever emails you is tasteless and cowardly.

Is the new procedure going to be “If you don’t let me ride jumpseat, I am going to post your name on flightinfo.com”?

It is a privilege not a right.

I'll concede that the Captain has the absolute right to be a dick. His airplane, his rules. HOWEVER, that doesn't exempt him from public ridicule and scorn for making a bad call. Go ahead Cap'n, exercise your authority all you want. I'm not questioning your authority to make the call, I'm just calling you out for being a dick. If you deny me for no valid reason other than you can prepare for me to tell everybody else what you did because I can.

yeah --- what he said. Excellent summation.

I don't understand all the attitude I see around towards Southwest pilots. Despite the one or two guys on this board who act a bit cocky, SWA pilots are about he most accomodating I've ever met while jumpseating. They were the first LCC to really expand and make it. You asked them to "raise the bar" with regards to payrates etc. and they did. They are compensated very well(better than 737 drivers anywhere else). I just don't see harboring ill will towards any one particular SWA guy out there trying to catch a ride as all of us seem to get excellend treatment while "moving around the country" on Southwest.

Just my thoughts,
IAHERJ

I don't understand all the attitude I see around towards Southwest pilots.
It's a combination of scapegoatism and jealousy. Aviation message boards are full of hardliners who blame pilots at other airlines for all their woes (real or perceived). On the line, as you know, moderates prevail.

Caveman summed it up . . .

The Captain has the right to turn down a jumpseat request, but he also should be willing to answer for that decision . . . . and if he is going to turn someone down, he should explain why, not hide behind the gate agent . . . . what a putz!

TW

Latest resources

Back