USAIR Capt denies JS to SWA commuter!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Get off your high horse!

The Captain's JS my wazoo! It is an open seat on whatever company's a/c & should be treated as such. All this power hungry BS. Bet these guys have the last two words in every fight at home...yes dear. Get a life.

JV

The Captain's JS my wazoo! It is an open seat on whatever company's a/c & should be treated as such. All this power hungry BS. Bet these guys have the last two words in every fight at home...yes dear. Get a life.

JV

Yep, and like I said.....if the gate agent denied the dude without consulting the captain, or, better yet, the guy was a scab or GoJet pilot, you all would be crying "It's the captain's jumpseat! They can take or deny whoever they want! Our captain's authority is being flushed down the toilet!" Don't deny it because you know it's true! You can't have it both ways.

Last edited:
Be a professional and take the next flight. Then talk to your JS coordinator.

Threatening to give his name out to whomever emails you is tasteless and cowardly.

Is the new procedure going to be “If you don’t let me ride jumpseat, I am going to post your name on flightinfo.com”?

It is a privilege not a right.

Its a damm good idea. Post it anywhere else you can think of as well.

Whether it is a seat in back or the actual js, you are still riding on jumpseat priveledges. That means you stop and say hi to the crew, ask if they have room for a freeloader, and take whatever seat is offered. It is captains's authority to take you. If you are polite and professional and still get denied, then the guy is simply a d1ck, but it's his call.
If you buy a ticket or nonrev/id90 pass then you don't need to say hi to anybody but the gate agent.

Pretty soon, management is going to take back the jump seat and tell everyone to screw themselves. You think commuting to work is bad now....just wait!

In the end, management owns the seats...and don't be surprised to find them exercising their authority one day. Ask any Delta pilot...they remember when they couldn't even offer a ride.

It's coming if this keeps up, you watch.

Some of you guys really need to relax. So some a$$hole denied you a ride. Big frickin' deal. Go to the next flight and forget about it. If I came on this board and posted a complaint every time that a NWA Captain treated me like s*#t when I was a commuter, then I'd have more posts than The General by now. Some guys are just jerks. Live with it and just remember not to be the same way when you're the one making the decision about who rides your jumpseat.

Let your JS coordinator know the flight number/date...let them handle it. FI.com can't do a doggone thing for ya.

Some of you guys really need to relax. So some a$$hole denied you a ride. Big frickin' deal. Go to the next flight and forget about it. If I came on this board and posted a complaint every time that a NWA Captain treated me like s*#t when I was a commuter, then I'd have more posts than The General by now. Some guys are just jerks. Live with it and just remember not to be the same way when you're the one making the decision about who rides your jumpseat.

Not everyone has the ability to just "go to the next flight." You should always have backups, but alot of cities that people commute out of might have only two flights/day (or even one). And, based on my last few rides on some legacy carriers I won't mention, there is a better than average chance your backup will be hours-delayed or CNX. Every open seat is valuable to a commuter.

How would you feel if you took an earlier flight, got denied by a CA being a tool, and then your backup fell through and you missed a trip or a kid's game? You'd want to choke out said Captain, no?

Assuming my brother is a commuter it sounds like he did an end around. I can't say the thought of slinking to the back wouldn't cross my mind but you MUST check in with the Captain. It's in the unwritten code of ethics.

Gup

Not everyone has the ability to just "go to the next flight." You should always have backups, but alot of cities that people commute out of might have only two flights/day (or even one). And, based on my last few rides on some legacy carriers I won't mention, there is a better than average chance your backup will be hours-delayed or CNX. Every open seat is valuable to a commuter.

How would you feel if you took an earlier flight, got denied by a CA being a tool, and then your backup fell through and you missed a trip or a kid's game? You'd want to choke out said Captain, no?

I commuted for over 5 years, so I know very well how much it can suck. That being said, jumpseating is still a privilege, and the Captain owns his jumpseat. If he turns you down for whatever reason, then that's his right. Going on flightinfo and sending the guy's name to a bunch of people via PM is even more unprofessional than the Captain who was a jerk. The only professional way to handle it is through the jumpseat committee. Let the guy's jumpseat coordinator have a talk with him. If that doesn't work, then oh well, it's still his jumpseat.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back