• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAIR Capt denies JS to SWA commuter!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Post the name. If the guy has the balls to stand up to a jumpseater and tell him he can't ride, let him stand up to his fellow crew members who call him on it. What can the jumpseat committee do to a Captain who is a prick and refuses to allow anyone to enjoy a benefit we all sacrificed something for? Nothing. Only the pressure of his/her peers is likely change that moronic attitude.

It's the that company agrees to let other pilots ride as guest in the back of the airplane. Without a doubt it's good form to check in the with Captain, introduce yourself, and ASK to ride along. Why should the pilots care who is in back as long as they meet the standards set by the company (within reason or course, ala the infamous Minneapolis zealots)? However, as much as it pisses me off when the seat in question is in the cockpit, it's the captains discretion. PERIOD. If it's a seat in the back that's open, different story.

You forgot the exclamation point on your last sentence.

It's enough to make Dave Mustaine cry.....again.

-Metallisqwkvfr :cool:

Good ole David Mustaine.......14 X in rehab and 15th was a charm for him. Last I saw on TV was that he is clean........for now anyway. Rock on David!

How is it a different story? It's the Boss's seat regardless of where it is in the airplane.

Wow. If that's the case, better hope the Boss isn't homophobic, racist, a women hater, etc. Otherwise, being able to throw anyone off for any reason without any accountability could put the company in a real tough spot.

Wow. If that's the case, better hope the Boss isn't homophobic, racist, a women hater, etc. Otherwise, being able to throw anyone off for any reason without any accountability could put the company in a real tough spot.

Even if you are riding in the back, you are riding via jumpseat priviledges so in that case, if the capt. doesn't want you on, it's his/her call. If you are a non rev, it's a different story.

Pretty soon, management is going to take back the jump seat and tell everyone to screw themselves. You think commuting to work is bad now....just wait!

In the end, management owns the seats...and don't be surprised to find them exercising their authority one day. Ask any Delta pilot...they remember when they couldn't even offer a ride.

It's coming if this keeps up, you watch.

At my Airline the JS is a contractual right. It was bought and paid for by us. The JS belongs to the Captain pure and simple.
Barring a BK filing the JS would need to be negotiated away. Good luck with that.
Maybe at other Non-Union carriers your theory might apply.

Post the name. If the guy has the balls to stand up to a jumpseater and tell him he can't ride, let him stand up to his fellow crew members who call him on it. What can the jumpseat committee do to a Captain who is a prick and refuses to allow anyone to enjoy a benefit we all sacrificed something for? Nothing. Only the pressure of his/her peers is likely change that moronic attitude.

It's the that company agrees to let other pilots ride as guest in the back of the airplane. Without a doubt it's good form to check in the with Captain, introduce yourself, and ASK to ride along. Why should the pilots care who is in back as long as they meet the standards set by the company (within reason or course, ala the infamous Minneapolis zealots)? However, as much as it pisses me off when the seat in question is in the cockpit, it's the captains discretion. PERIOD. If it's a seat in the back that's open, different story.

No, it is not a different story if you are using the jump seat privlage to get that seat in the back.

Jump seat is a negotiated item....management cannot just "take it away".
Its the Capts. seat period! Hell I'm starting to think there are an awfully lot of pu**ies flying around out there.................

Airdog.......................out

It's doubtful that any pilot would be open about having any or all of those biases. If he/she was, he/she wouldn't be long for the airline world (or most other worlds for that matter)--just take a look at who is in the back of the airplane.

Now referencing the original post, airlinepilot was upset about being denied a jumpseat. That, by itself, warrants no call to his j/s coordinator. However, the Captain did openly single out SWA pilots and that could be grounds for a phone call--if nothing else but to preserve a reciprocal agreement.

But this question for me remains: Did airlinepilot take a seat in the back w/o the Captain's approval?

Not so fast capt. megadeth

Not using authority correctly or misuing it is what weakens real authority because then others have to get involved to make sure that the Capt knows how to correctly apply his authority. Additionally....this was not just a case of the an actual JS in the cockpit...it was allowing commuters in the back where there were open seats. Misure of authority is one reason we have so much oversight....because there is always that 10%.......that needs it.

I agree with airline pilot. It is this abuse of power that undermines captains authority more than anything else. Everyone agrees that the Captain needs the ultimate power when it comes to the safety of the flight, when we start expanding our scope outside of TRUE safety-of-flight issues it makes people question ALL of us (outwardly or inwardly) everytime we make a decision. It's the 10% that abuse there power that make life so difficult for the rest of us. When we start trying to make every little issue a "safety of flight" issue the phrase looses it's meaning.

When I was on my first day of IOE with my current airline, the instructor denied someone the jumpseat (1W) - I didn't think it was necessary but I didn't feel it was inappropriate. He went up and talked to the guy personally. We would have taken the guy in the back.

If having a SWA pilot, or scab, or express pilot on your cockpit jumpseat is truly a distraction for you - then by all means deny the jumpseat. Short of clear policy violations however, (show up in shorts straight from the gym, not on jumpseat list, etc.) I think it is pretty tough to justify denial of someone who is going to sit in the back. If you have a seat in the back, many captains won't even bother to give your ID more than a quick glance if they look at it at all.

Later

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back