• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir 1549 CVR transcript

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the nose was below the horizon and the crew never disconnected the auto-thrust, then idle thrust would have been commanded with the trust levers in the climb detent. That is the difference between moving them to TOGA and leaving them in the auto-thrust range.

The climb thrust detent is an auto-thrust active range setting. If the nose was down and the speed higher than the speed target the system would command idle thrust. Moving the levers to TOGA would send a signal commanding full thrust to the EECs. There is a possibility that the #1 engine may have been capable of producing thrust but it was never given a command to do so. This is the point of most posters.

Personally I don't think it would have made a difference but we may never know for sure.

The FDR data shows the N1 target and N1 command by the EEC along with the actual N1. You can see that the N1 target remains constant until the TLA is reduced, but the actual N1 on both engines drops dramatically. Airspeed remains at or below speed at impact.

I think the FDR data shows that the EEC's did NOT roll back the power. The EEC's were still commanding climb thrust but the engines simply could not comply and the EEC's will not simply dump more fuel into an engine that refuses to spool up. If they did, the engines would have simply melted, the EGT's were already at 900C...

The FDR data shows the N1 target and N1 command by the EEC along with the actual N1. You can see that the N1 target remains constant until the TLA is reduced, but the actual N1 on both engines drops dramatically.

Is this a commanded N1 value or a value corresponding to the TLA donut?

If it's just the donut it doesn't mean anything.

Airspeed remains at or below speed at impact.
By this time the thrust lever had been retarded to idle in anticipation of an airstart.
I think the FDR data shows that the EEC's did NOT roll back the power. The EEC's were still commanding climb thrust but the engines simply could not comply and the EEC's will not simply dump more fuel into an engine that refuses to spool up. If they did, the engines would have simply melted, the EGT's were already at 900C...

EGT values can be high even at very low thrust settings. Take a look at them the next time you are flying on a 38C day. They will often be very close to max value even while at idle. Excessive EGT is one of the few parameters that the EEC does not protect against.

Last edited:
Is this a commanded N1 value or a value corresponding to the TLA donut?

The FDR data shows both the overall "target" value, and the "commanded" value for each engine. Take a look at the data... I'm no NTSB expert but you can see that the commanded value for engine 1 remains constant until the TLA is reduced, then comes back up again when the TLA is brought up again. You can also see clearly that when the TLA is brought back to idle, N1 on engine 1 drops from about 35 to around 25. Then when the thrust lever is brought back up again in stages, it goes back to around 35 but won't go any higher despite the TLA being advanced further. That's just all that the engine had in it.

The commanded N1 for engine 2 does roll back about 14 seconds after impact with the birds. Presumably this is due the the N2 falling below a threshold value (seems to be around 50%)

All you "tools" that get off on dissing Sully and Jeff can scream and rant till you turn BLUE!!! The fact is this crew acted exceptionally well under incredible circumstances. Thank your lucky stars, that some of you were not in that cockpit that day.....I suspect the end result might have been different.

You've had 10 months to Dissect and analyze all the data and cocktail information. Even a 10 year old with access to Google can do that. These PILOTS had 3.20 minutes to make a decision and execute their plan!! I for one call it REMARCABLE...

Next time you go dissing Sully and Jeff for your own personal reasons, remember that these men have done more for their passengers, crew, and our profession that most of you will do in 3 life times.. Good day!

All you "tools" that get off on dissing Sully and Jeff can scream and rant till you turn BLUE!!! The fact is this crew acted exceptionally well under incredible circumstances. Thank your lucky stars, that some of you were not in that cockpit that day.....I suspect the end result might have been different.

You've had 10 months to Dissect and analyze all the data and cocktail information. Even a 10 year old with access to Google can do that. These PILOTS had 3.20 minutes to make a decision and execute their plan!! I for one call it REMARCABLE...

Next time you go dissing Sully and Jeff for your own personal reasons, remember that these men have done more for their passengers, crew, and our profession that most of you will do in 3 life times.. Good day!

All hail King Sully!!! I will bow down in worship of the man if I ever get the chance! But I am confused, is REMARCABLE the same as REMARKABLE or is this a new word used to describe the unworldly actions of King Sully??

They made it personal when they tried to influence a jury with their "hero" status. I was there to witness it and was not impressed.

They may have been Hudson heros, but not in a courtroom in Phoenix.

They made it personal when they tried to influence a jury with their "hero" status. I was there to witness it and was not impressed.

They may have been Hudson heros, but not in a courtroom in Phoenix.

...Peoples lives were not at stake that day in Phoenix.....

All hail King Sully!!! I will bow down in worship of the man if I ever get the chance! But I am confused, is REMARCABLE the same as REMARKABLE or is this a new word used to describe the unworldly actions of King Sully??

Here is someone that obviously has nothing to say.

...Peoples lives were not at stake that day in Phoenix.....

No, just the careers and the welfare of pilots' families, B-atch.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back