USAir 1549 CVR transcript

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yep. on both sides of the country.

We shook hands, agreed by a process and your side sucker punched us.

Integrity, doing the right thing, even if it is not convenient.

All hail King Sully!!! I will bow down in worship of the man if I ever get the chance! But I am confused, is REMARCABLE the same as REMARKABLE or is this a new word used to describe the unworldly actions of King Sully??

I kissed Sully's picture this morning... I felt so much better! Thrust lever- TOGA = power.
Air France couldn't figure it out either one day at a little air show in Paris. It's those simple things in life that kinda bite ya. Anyone see Sully's broom???

Next time you go dissing Sully and Jeff for your own personal reasons, remember that these men have done more for their passengers, crew, and our profession that most of you will do in 3 life times.. Good day!
You assume there is no reason other than personal to analyze what they did right or wrong. Critique is not blasphemy.

If you don't get beyond the hero worship, you'll never discover how remarcable their performance was (or wasn't).

What we do know is that Sully made a successful forced landing on a smooth river in relatively calm conditions. What we don't know is whether it was necessary or not.

What an industry to work in. Have to use your own cell phone while taxiing to get things done. Unbelievable what managements have done to this industry. ALPA should organize a nationwide walkout. Haven't the pilots walked out nationally in India, Italy, and England? It's our turn.

I wouldn't just blame management... evidenced by this board alone we can't even come to a consensus that the crew did an amazing job saving everyone's life that day.

And as for trying to make an airport, what about your responsibility for the lives of the people on the ground as well??? That's also part of being el capitan

You assume there is no reason other than personal to analyze what they did right or wrong. Critique is not blasphemy.

This is how Bringupthebird would have handled the situation. Against the checklist procedure which starts on page 27 of the QRH, which is 3 pages long, he would have tried to put more gas on engines that are already getting gas and are overtemping and trying to produce thrust.

His train of thought would be get it to an airport at any cost and be a hero. Instead, his little TOGA manuveur, which is not listed anywhere, might have given him some more power for a few seconds, but then he gets an uncontained dual engine failure trying to reach that airport.

Outcome would have been many dead on the ground and all on the airplane, instead of right decision on commiting early to flying the airplane and commiting to a safe outcome.

Bringupthebird is a fine example on why we need better trained pilots that did not pay for training. They lack good judgement and should not be flying airplanes.

In contrast Sully focused on what is the best outcome for the 2min and 51 sec.

By the way, do you know how long it takes for an APU to start. Until the Flap opens.

The stuff Bringupthebird write makes him look like a rookie. It isscary the crap you put out. They did everything by the book. Skiles was fresh of IOE and had very little time on the airbus. You really hate East pilots and that is why East and West will never share a cockpit. Unsafe.

M

I kissed Sully's picture this morning... I felt so much better! Thrust lever- TOGA = power.
Air France couldn't figure it out either one day at a little air show in Paris. It's those simple things in life that kinda bite ya. Anyone see Sully's broom???

Obviously no concept what the affect of damaged blades can have on a jet engine.

Obviously no concept what the affect of damaged blades can have on a jet engine.

Exactly!! an uncontained rotor burst just 1/2 mile from the runway would have resulted in a much different outcome.
Also interesting to note is that these MODERN power plants are FADEC controlled and protected. I suspect that even if the thrust levers had been taken to TOGA (against QRH procedure) FADEC would have commanded minimal, if any, additional fuel metering. This is required and part of engine certification, in order to avoid, well...An uncontained rotor burst....

Last edited:
How about opening the APU bleed (part of the QRH procedure) so that the engine could spin fast enough for the FADEC to allow additional fuel => thrust?

How about opening the APU bleed (part of the QRH procedure) so that the engine could spin fast enough for the FADEC to allow additional fuel => thrust?

If I recall, both motors were still producing thrust #1 @35% and #2 @21%. The flame was still lit. That's why the rat never deployed and full hydraulics were available.

Latest resources

Back