Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
LM must have been to that airport at least 50-100 times in the 10 years he worked for USA Jet. Most of that Mexico stuff is in the middle of the night.

Hi.

I talked to a guy that knew him (LM) really well. He flew into MMIO AT LEAST 200 times!

cliff
YIP

The four years that I was a pilot at USA Jet there was never( ONE captain including LM) that I ever flew with who would take a visual in Mexico. It is almost unwritten SOP to deny a visual even when radar service was terminated. LM could not mistake a road for something on the plate while on the approach and neither would any other USAJ pilot I ever flew with from 2004-2008.

Never flew a visual in Mexico, always on the approach. Agree 100%.

The four years that I was a pilot at USA Jet there was never( ONE captain including LM) that I ever flew with who would take a visual in Mexico. It is almost unwritten SOP to deny a visual even when radar service was terminated. LM could not mistake a road for something on the plate while on the approach and neither would any other USAJ pilot I ever flew with from 2004-2008.

MMIO is notorious for giving the VOR 17, CIRCLE TO LAND 35. Even when the wind is 5 knots out of the north, and there isnt an aircraft around...that is what I get a majority of the time. If its night/and or low vis, I try to request a straight-in regardless of the slight tailwind. Im not sure why they insist on the circle with regard to the terrain in the area....they arent very proactive in making those seemingly obvious decisions to inbound AC.

MMIO is notorious for giving the VOR 17, CIRCLE TO LAND 35. Even when the wind is 5 knots out of the north, and there isnt an aircraft around...that is what I get a majority of the time. If its night/and or low vis, I try to request a straight-in regardless of the slight tailwind. Im not sure why they insist on the circle with regard to the terrain in the area....they arent very proactive in making those seemingly obvious decisions to inbound AC.

I remember shooting that approach. It's challenging.

I am currently at USA Jet and it most certainly IS an unwritten SOP to never accept a visual into Mexican airports. In addition, we try to NOT do circling manuevers down there unless there are no other options (We will practically beg for the straight-in apc). I am sure all of who have been down there are aware of the challenges, i.e. terrain, complex step-downs, ATC limitations, that lead to his mindset. My buddy Lonnie was aware of and strictly adhered to these policies and techniques. I would suggest we all adopt a "wait and see " attitude as to the any "contributing factors". I don't mean to step on anybody's toes here but any speculation is just that...and in my opinion unnecssary...Sorry if I have offended.

Falcon that is a good post. Amazing how professional the freight dogs can be and not turn this into debacle like some of the other sections of flightinfo

I have flown into a lot of Mex and Central Mex airports and it is my habit to fly the approach, and visual ONLY if I know the place SOLID and its day VFR. I take the viz into Mazatlan sometimes and even into Toluca (the sisters house or church on final to 15 probably doesnt like it.....) but I know thoses places like the back of my hand, only in the DAY, and am ALWAYS away of MSA and terrain.

Fly safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back