West - Jr. recalled pilot - P 3051 Frederico
18th on list - 2 bypasses

16 in class 9/6
24 to be in class 10/4

East - Jr. recalled pilot - 3416 - 8284 Nauta
43rd on list - 23 bypasses
20 in class 9/6
20 to be in class 10/25 tentatively.
Any additional classes of 20 may require hiring!!!!

East Oct 4th class postponed to 10/25. I expect this is due to an anticipated training bottleneck in E-190 program. I anticipate slow but consistant hiring until the E190 is staffed with all new (104 pilots) who will then be seat locked. No current 190 pilots are seatlocked, and it is reasonable to assume will GTFO faster than the Dimocraps this November. I also think this will require new hires!

Let's hope for the best!

West - Jr. recalled pilot - P 3051 Frederico
18th on list - 2 bypasses

16 in class 9/6
24 to be in class 10/4

East - Jr. recalled pilot - 3416 - 8284 Nauta
43rd on list - 23 bypasses
20 in class 9/6
20 to be in class 10/25 tentatively.
Any additional classes of 20 may require hiring!!!!

East Oct 4th class postponed to 10/25. I expect this is due to an anticipated training bottleneck in E-190 program. I anticipate slow but consistant hiring until the E190 is staffed with all new (104 pilots) who will then be seat locked. No current 190 pilots are seatlocked, and it is reasonable to assume will GTFO faster than the Dimocraps this November. I also think this will require new hires!

Let's hope for the best!

There won't be any hiring off the street until all pilots are offered recall and that includes west pilots being offered positions on the east. This will occur if the east list is exhausted first. At the rate they are sending letters out, it will be a while. As far as west guys taking a recall to the east there are about 15-20 that I think would take it right away.

psw - Can you explain the means and methods that would allow this, contractually speaking? I know of none, but I hope there is one.

Let's not get into the right and wrong of it, because I completely agree that what you propose should indeed take place.

Would these pilots be at 1st year longevity for pay or 5 year like they should be on the West list. I am afreard that you are confusing fairness with reality. Again, I would totally support what you are suggesting, but there would need to be new contractual language if they are to begin work on the East at anything other than new hire status.

God fear their work environment. They would be the stormtroopers of pilot group integration at the most heated and unresolved time to date!

As far as the East list being nowhere near exhausted, I disagree strongly. There were only 84 East furloughees (as this was strictly a negotiating tactic by our beloved, benevolent management team) and 43 had to be contacted to get a class of 20 to agree to drive the remaining E190's at Mesa wages. 20 more are soon to return, and I believe there will be more in the months to come, when training slots allow it.

Your comment about West returning to an East job, that is speculation twice over. 1st you assume it is an eventuality that USAPA will initiate and complete the necessary contractual additions that permit this. 2ndly you assume that they would return and bring with them their accrued West longevity. Again, to be clear, that is totally appropriate. I am not a poop flinger, but rather a 3rd list puke. If they come to East to start at our $36K salary for first year dudes, then it is not exactly a stellar proposition.

I'm all over it, personally, if only to get my longevity going again, but the 190 rates are dispicable as is the rest of the contract on the East. It remains the most pungent indictment of USAPA for the entire industry as well as just deserts for any of those pilots on the east who wish to deny contractual progress for short term personal gain.

Last edited:
psw - Can you explain the means and methods that would allow this, contractually speaking? I know of none, but I hope there is one.

Let's not get into the right and wrong of it, because I completely agree that what you propose should indeed take place.

Would these pilots be at 1st year longevity for pay or 5 year like they should be on the West list. I am afreard that you are confusing fairness with reality. Again, I would totally support what you are suggesting, but there would need to be new contractual language if they are to begin work on the East at anything other than new hire status.

God fear their work environment. They would be the stormtroopers of pilot group integration at the most heated and unresolved time to date!

As far as the East list being nowhere near exhausted, I disagree strongly. There were only 84 East furloughees (as this was strictly a negotiating tactic by our beloved, benevolent management team) and 43 had to be contacted to get a class of 20 to agree to drive the remaining E190's at Mesa wages. 20 more are soon to return, and I believe there will be more in the months to come, when training slots allow it.

Your comment about West returning to an East job, that is speculation twice over. 1st you assume it is an eventuality that USAPA will initiate and complete the necessary contractual additions that permit this. 2ndly you assume that they would return and bring with them their accrued West longevity. Again, to be clear, that is totally appropriate. I am not a poop flinger, but rather a 3rd list puke. If they come to East to start at our $36K salary for first year dudes, then it is not exactly a stellar proposition.

I'm all over it, personally, if only to get my longevity going again, but the 190 rates are dispicable as is the rest of the contract on the East. It remains the most pungent indictment of USAPA for the entire industry as well as just deserts for any of those pilots on the east who wish to deny contractual progress for short term personal gain.

Tweaker,
I'm a third lister as well. The contractual provisions are already in place for what I stated earlier to happen. It is all outlined in the transition agreement, look for yourself. The jist of it is, after recalls on a respective side are completed and other side still has furloughs then company will offer positions to pilots of the other side before hiring off street. This has already happens once back in 2005 with east pilots going west and it was conducted under the provisions of the transition agreement. As far as how this happens and longevity/pay, I have no idea. Our USAPA peeps also gave me the same story I just laid out for you here. no need to get all worked up over it.

Here is an excerpt from the TA and USAPA Website -According to the language contained in the Transition Agreement as well as the opinion of an Arbitrator, pilots hired during the period of Separate Operations (East or West) have seniority rights established in the Operation in which they were furloughed until the parties obtain a single collective bargaining agreement. If, after the Company offers recall to all pilots on their respective seniority lists and positions still exist in the other operation (East or West), then the Company would at that point, pursuant to Section II. B. 10 of the Transition Agreement, be required to offer those positions to the pilots of the other carrier before hiring pilots "off the street."

Well, that is great! I am glad for this. Based on the above, there wil indeed be now street hiring for a long time to come.

If you somehow thought I was against such or this was an example of me getting all worked up, you really have no idea what I am capable of.

Cheerio! It is near 100f again. Time for homebrews at the pool with Miss bebe Tweaklet.

Tweak -

ALPA negotiated those rates. Further, what short term gain could any east pilot be getting by, as you say, denying contractual progress? We want a contract, like, yesterday! Your viewpoint here is totally unclear.

How many times have you read an East pilot gloat over all the retirements and other things that will result in East progression? I know I have many times. It is sickening as a pig wallowing in its own waste with a big grin to not do everything in one's power to endeavor to be rid of the East's 2.5 bankrupcy era contract. It is shameful and is undoubtably an obstacle to pilots all over America when their management can point to the workrules and pay rates current at US Airways East when their pilots want to seek improvements.

Surely you can admit this much? Either way, I'm out for dranks poolside. I have a thirsty 3 y/o and Strawberry Wheat awaits us boff.

Sorry I can't answer your question about the hiring pool. The first priority is to bring back the remainder of the 224 on furlough. I have heard a "RUMOR" that some of the Chief Pilots are being called in for interview training. If you look at the US Airways career site you will see a large increase in other jobs that they are looking to fill as well. If these indicators turn out to be valid I think US Airways might be gearing up for some limited growth and also preparing for the retirement wave that kicks off in 2012. Just my opinion and as always your mileage may vary but figured some positive rumors might be welcome in this environment.

Lets see here - if a furloughed westie is recalled to an east bid - then we are going to have westies flying with easties who are junior to us - but since they still think they won the lottery that hasn't paid off - the returning "furloughed westie" will consider he is/or senior to the east pilot on the trip. Wow - thats going to make for an interesting CRM study - hope I am not part of it - especially when the westie has his gold/silver/platinum badge hanging to show his contribution to AOL and their lawsuit - a defendant working/ flying with the plaintiff!

Metrojet

Lets see here - if a furloughed westie is recalled to an east bid - then we are going to have westies flying with easties who are junior to us. Metrojet

You have nothing to worry about as long as the arbitrated list is used.

Do not fret Metro, it will be the Nic.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back