• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways Pilot/FA Recall

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is stupid enough that the company lets people out of seat locks. There are pilots that have just finished 190 training and will turn around and be back in for group 2. Good deal for them get a 190 type and than a 737 or A320. The 190 is going to be a continous training airplane. I am sure the company is planning well in advance and we just don't see there master plan. What a joke.

Seems like they can't win with some people. If they didn't let people out of the 190 training freeze someone would be complaining a new hire was flying around in a bus while a 2007 hire was stuck in the 190.

Anyhow, I don't know about the continuous training. From what I hear from the January new-hires, they have been told they will not be let out of the seat lock. Also, the top 35 (including myself) have not bid off the airplane. I think they will possibly put more new hires on the 190 and they it should be a smaller turnover vs. a revolving door.

Seems like they can't win with some people. If they didn't let people out of the 190 training freeze someone would be complaining a new hire was flying around in a bus while a 2007 hire was stuck in the 190.

Anyhow, I don't know about the continuous training. From what I hear from the January new-hires, they have been told they will not be let out of the seat lock. Also, the top 35 (including myself) have not bid off the airplane. I think they will possibly put more new hires on the 190 and they it should be a smaller turnover vs. a revolving door.

All I am trying to say is that when the rule is a 12 month seat lock, people base their decision on weather to come back off furlough or hold out. Then they change the rules. I know the company wants to get people off furlough or resign, this is not the way to do it by having no giudelines to base decisions. In my opinion with the complete unorganized mess furloughs will ride it out till they are forced to make desicion unless they are unemployed and need a job.

All I am trying to say is that when the rule is a 12 month seat lock, people base their decision on weather to come back off furlough or hold out. Then they change the rules. I know the company wants to get people off furlough or resign, this is not the way to do it by having no giudelines to base decisions. In my opinion with the complete unorganized mess furloughs will ride it out till they are forced to make desicion unless they are unemployed and need a job.

As one who was recently recalled I'd have to say I haven't experienced this disorganization you speak of. I was ok with a 12 month lock on the 190. Now I can bid off if I want to. It's only gravy. Those that don't want the 190 can bypass indefinitely. Now they can get recalled to a group 2 or 190 if they would like. Where is the mess? As it has been said before, base your decision on the 12 month lock and don't plan on it being waived. If one can't live with it then don't accept recall to the 190.

The seat lock is properly termed an "aircraft freeze." If pile its were told in Jan that it would not be waived, then that is both a total reversal of a repeated position from Nov. and also news to anyone I know. The union has not stated such. This bid just now has permitted another 20-30 recently trained E190 pile its to leave the aircraft.

Summary - I call BS

The seat lock is properly termed an "aircraft freeze." If pile its were told in Jan that it would not be waived, then that is both a total reversal of a repeated position from Nov. and also news to anyone I know. The union has not stated such. This bid just now has permitted another 20-30 recently trained E190 pile its to leave the aircraft.

Summary - I call BS

The pilots told the "aircraft freeze" would not be waived were new hires. I believe this would still be in-line with what the company has told us since they were speaking to recalled pilots. It makes a difference in my opinion to not freeze recalled pilots in the 190 since group 2 pay is a pay increase. However, first year pay on the 190 is actually higher than group 2 so freezing a new hire on the 190 while putting someone junior to him on a group 2 actually does him or her no monetary harm.

As one who was recently recalled I'd have to say I haven't experienced this disorganization you speak of. I was ok with a 12 month lock on the 190. Now I can bid off if I want to. It's only gravy. Those that don't want the 190 can bypass indefinitely. Now they can get recalled to a group 2 or 190 if they would like. Where is the mess? As it has been said before, base your decision on the 12 month lock and don't plan on it being waived. If one can't live with it then don't accept recall to the 190.

I get a recall letter that says if you accept the 190 you are seat locked for 12 months. I base my decision on what the letter says and now all of the sudden no more seat locks. I may have come back knowing I could get off the 190 in a couple of months. Also I have consider commuting to reseve in PHL for 12 months. Why did'nt the company just send a letter out saying we are recalling to the 190 and there is no seat lock then? I am not complaining, but it would be nice to know the rules to make a decision. It is great for the pilots that got releasd from the seat lock. That seems pretty unorganized to me if they can't figure out what the staffing is going to be and they have to release seat locks and take on training costs. It is not efficient to train a pilot and then turn around and train them again.

I get a recall letter that says if you accept the 190 you are seat locked for 12 months. I base my decision on what the letter says and now all of the sudden no more seat locks. I may have come back knowing I could get off the 190 in a couple of months. Also I have consider commuting to reseve in PHL for 12 months. Why did'nt the company just send a letter out saying we are recalling to the 190 and there is no seat lock then? I am not complaining, but it would be nice to know the rules to make a decision. It is great for the pilots that got releasd from the seat lock. That seems pretty unorganized to me if they can't figure out what the staffing is going to be and they have to release seat locks and take on training costs. It is not efficient to train a pilot and then turn around and train them again.

I don't think I'm going to change your mind. You seem to be looking at the glass being half empty.

You say you would have come back if you thought you could get off the 190 but then you talk about commuting to reserve in PHL for 12 months. Are you not aware that many recalled pilots on the 190 are already holding a primary block? Who said anything about not being able to figure out staffing? In a rare case of a company trying to do what is right, they are letting people out of the training freeze so someone junior to them isn't on a bigger airplane. Who cares if we don't think it is efficient.

It's simple, really... As Zy said, make (or in this case, made) your decision on a worst case scenario. If you could come back to the 190, commute to PHL, and survive the pay, then accept recall. If not, bypass until the Feb 21st class which has group 2 positions. If you got released early, all the better... (even for those of us that stayed on the 190...).

Some people would bitch if you hung them with a new rope.....

It's simple, really... As Zy said, make (or in this case, made) your decision on a worst case scenario. If you could come back to the 190, commute to PHL, and survive the pay, then accept recall. If not, bypass until the Feb 21st class which has group 2 positions. If you got released early, all the better... (even for those of us that stayed on the 190...).

Some people would bitch if you hung them with a new rope.....

If I were to be hanged, I would probably complain no matter what the age of the rope was.

Latest resources

Back