US Airways Hiring! It's on!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The West currently still has some guys furloughed said:
The West furloughs will continue to be offered spots (group 2) in the east before new hires. Most furloughs are bypassing the 190 because of the pay and being limited to PHL, when a group 2 becomes available in the east there will be west guys that take it.

Crew Scheduling: You are junior assigned.
Me: Are you sure I am the most junior?
Crew Scheduling: Buuuwwwaaaaaaaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!
Lineholders can't be tagged on the west contract. Of course the east would find some way to have a problem with that and give it away as a vindictive concession.

I always like to ask the east folks, "What's the difference between a concession and a concussion? Ans- You have to have a brain to get a concussion!"

The Purple Veiner from DCA is what you have to look forward to with a career at USAir. His ilk ginned up USAPA, but still can't make it work (just like they screwed up their ALPA franchise when they had that. Unions should come with trigger locks standard). That's doesn't keep them from extorting the pilots to throw good money after bad, but I'm sure anyone who wants to can find a job with union representation that really represents.

USAirways.....The Mesa Airbus Division :)

USAirways.....The Mesa Airbus Division :)

Seeing that I've worked at both I would say they are about as far apart as the night is from the day but I doubt you will take my word for it....this is a message board after all.

If you are actually interested in working here I'll briefly throw out a few facts about working on the East.

Yes the contract is pathetic vs any other major airline. No doubt about it....but its probably a better job than a regional. I'm on the 190 recently recalled. There are 11 days off regardless of the days in the particular month. Short call must be within 90 minutes normal driving time of the airport but that doesn't mean when you are called it won't take you four hours to get to the airport. Long call is 9 hours.

Primary lines have about half the month off. You can improve that if you like by using a schedule adjustment period after you get your line award (I've got 18 off this month). You can also "go on the bid sheet" which is a manual process daily that can allow you to trade or pick up something two days out from the day of processing. Yes, the East is stuck in the dark ages by lacking web based trading but after you get used to it, it really isn't that bad. Secondary lines are created from the leftover pairings after primary lines are awarded and people adjust as explained above. Best think I can say about the job is you work with professionals, everybody does their job (as oppossed to the Captain doing everybodies job), and the flows, checklist, and all that are so simple I don't feel like I'm really working when I go to work.

What Zymotic said. I'm a west guy that took the recall to the east. Easy choice for me, no job or job I hate or go fly. When it comes up that I'm a "original" west guy, the next question has been; how has everybody been treating you? The answer is, great. I have yet been accosted or questioned of my intentions. In reality, flying on the east and west is pretty much more of the same. Everybody bitches about the same stuff. Difference is the contract. The west has alot of great stuff the east could use. The east has so much flexibility in their schedules ( if you are a line holder) that would benefit the west greatly. I'm still a "westy" in a east world, but so far, so good. Still waiting for the adults to show up and lead us, no takers yet.

So is there any word yet on when hiring may actually start over there?

The E190 Fleet CA and Dir said yesterday that for this year there will be only 12 new hires aka the poolies that were contacted in Dec 2010. Not sure if it has to do with the return of the furloughees and/or the pilots on medical leave.

I wouldn't worry too much. Remember that about a year ago the company said that there won't be any recalls. In this business things change daily.

What Zymotic said. I'm a west guy that took the recall to the east. Easy choice for me, no job or job I hate or go fly. When it comes up that I'm a "original" west guy, the next question has been; how has everybody been treating you? The answer is, great. I have yet been accosted or questioned of my intentions. In reality, flying on the east and west is pretty much more of the same. Everybody bitches about the same stuff. Difference is the contract. The west has alot of great stuff the east could use. The east has so much flexibility in their schedules ( if you are a line holder) that would benefit the west greatly. I'm still a "westy" in a east world, but so far, so good. Still waiting for the adults to show up and lead us, no takers yet.

Melvis -

Thank you for the reasoned, rational feedback. Not used to seeing that on this website.

BC

Latest resources

Back