US Airways hiring in PIT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah I thought so too, but its the location and the airline I guess
Who wants to move to PIT? WX and a non hub for airways so anytime you non rev you have to go to PHX or PHL or CLT.

Alot of dispatch offices are not in the most desirable places. Anyone know when they are going to close and start the interviews?

Latest intel I have is interviews in April, class in May (tentatively). Yeah,
non-revving out of PIT would be pretty much a non-issue; ever since they closed the crew base, I've heard that practically every flight in or out of PIT to PHL/DCA/CLT has 20-30 employees trying to get to and from work. If I wasn't from around PIT and didn't want to get back home, I might not consider it. But I think the cost of living and the commute would certainly beat places like Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, etc. I guess there's always the chance on another merger and move someday, but what can you do?

So I am wondering what the likelihood is that any of these companies hiring lately will bring in a round of new dispatchers, only to furlough them this summer if fuel continues to spike?

That's the "Russian Roulette" nature of the airline career search...always has been since I started in the mid-80s. Boom and bust...try to get hired at the start of a hiring wave, so that hopefully you've got enough "furlough fodder" under you when the inevitable downturn hits. But back then it was mostly just the periodic economic cycles you had to worry about; these days things seem much more volatile worldwide, and the constant undercutting of contract carriers and whipsawing of labor groups has reached a level I've never seen before. I know a lot of people who thought they'd finally made their last great career move by getting on with US Airways, United, Delta, etc...in 1999, 2000, & 2001, only to hit the street after 9/11 and stay there for years. When Airways last hired in 2008, the price of oil was on it's way toward $147/barrel and there were rumors of an impending merger with United; I decided not to risk moving my family just to get furloughed, so I withdrew my application. As it turned out, half of the class they hired were furloughed within about 8 months. Here we go again...this time I'm going to roll the dice, for better or worse, because my current situation has reached it's limit.

an ex-coworker of mine now back at Airways after being furloughed said when he got hired on that he had applied in December, and his class date didn't start until April! Yikes!

Latest resources

Back