• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS Poolies and futre pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I will be the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** FA for the FE, FO and Capt. if it means getting a job at UPS....I'll wait for my upgrade

Just speculation,
I heard the re-interviews is really just a formallity of getting back in touch with the Poolies and seeing who is still qualified, current, and wants a job with UPS. If this is wrong, let me know...

About the issue of asking for a direct right seat instead of the panel, its a touchy subject around here. "From what I understand" UPS did put some pilots directly into the right seat around the summer of 01, then it came to a direct halt because there was no bid put out to the others on the senority list to upgrade... It was a backdoor attempt by UPS to cut training cost that the IPA put a stop to. All those that were hired into the right seat were soon placed into the backseat.

The second reason is this... Im not complaining, Yes Im happy to have a job and feel very lucky to not be furloughed. Since I and many other pilots have gotten hired here, all we have done is move backwards and loose senority. With no hiring for over 3 years, a shrinking number of pilots and record growth internationaly has led to many pilots having very poor quality of life (not to mention very low pay). No, we were not furloughed (but they threatened to furlough us) but being on the bottom of the senority list for the last 3-4 years as a engineer with 80% of the Capt retiring coming to the backseat as FE's and taking all the bidable lines except reserve has not been the best of all situations. Yes its sounds like Im wineing (and I am...LOL) Many of us feel like its finally our time to upgrade and let all the lucky others who get hired here over the next year tow the FE line... If you get a upgrade, great, but take your number and get in line...

We are all very happy to see anyone and everyone get hired here, WELCOME ABOARD!!! Lets hope UPS can hire 100 pilots without screwing it up...

BIGBROWNDC8

reinterview?

Why does UPS require a reinterview of the poolies? Didn't they already pass the interview to get into the pool? How long has it been for them? Does a successful interview expire?

Just curious as this was a big question of many FedEx poolies over the last couple years. FedEx's concept of the pool is; if you pass the interview, you have a job, it is just a matter of when. Some guys sat in the pool for upwards of a couple years during our recent dry spell, but are in class or on the line now.

Goose17

Goose17 said:
Why does UPS require a reinterview of the poolies? Didn't they already pass the interview to get into the pool? How long has it been for them? Does a successful interview expire?

Just curious as this was a big question of many FedEx poolies over the last couple years. FedEx's concept of the pool is; if you pass the interview, you have a job, it is just a matter of when. Some guys sat in the pool for upwards of a couple years during our recent dry spell, but are in class or on the line now.

Goose17

My guess on the reinterview is since it's been over three years that the poolies have been swimming, UPS wants to make sure that they are still the same person that they interviewed previously, meaning making sure that they haven't done anything in the past three years that would now disqualify them from a job here.

Our pool has always been a competitive pool, not a first in, first out pool like some other carriers. They "grade" your interview and then fill available new hire classes with the people that scored the highest. I have talked to crewmembers that were in the pool for a couple of years or more before getting the call and others that were offered a class date during the interview.

UPS interview process?

Any word on what the interview process will be like at UPS. New format old format??

Last edited:
What UPSer said is correct, but another reason might be that most of the players involved with hiring pilots here 3 years ago have changed since the last time we hired. Sure there might be one or two that are the same, but most (even starting at the top with the head of pilot recruitment, Phil Donahue) have been replaced with new people. Im not saying its right, but maybe they (the new people) want to put their stamp on who gets hired. Its seems to be part of the culture here. Everyone is trying to make a name for themselves so they too can move "Up" the ladder... Just a theory...

Just to repeat what I said before, I heard the "Re-interview" was just to get "Re-aquainted" with the poolie. not to ask them why they want to work at UPS again, and fly the sim... I may be wrong...

Not sure of their intentions, but when called, I was told my interview time and my sim time. Maybe chance, but the sim comes firsst, probably in the A300 sim.

tim1wolf said:
Not sure of their intentions, but when called, I was told my interview time and my sim time. Maybe chance, but the sim comes firsst, probably in the A300 sim.
Uh Oh, whatever you do, DO NOT engage the autopilot. You are much better off taking your chances hand flying the croissant cruiser.:)

being competitive

Besides having the required minimums, is there anything else that UPS looks for in a candidate. Such as being a checkairmen, sim instructor, or being part of a interview team. Also, I have heard that UPS likes to see if there candidates have performed any volunteer service. Any truth to that? Just trying to figure out how to competitive without am internal LOR. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

BIGBROWNDC8 said:
Just speculation,
I heard the re-interviews is really just a formallity of getting back in touch with the Poolies and seeing who is still qualified, current, and wants a job with UPS. If this is wrong, let me know...

About the issue of asking for a direct right seat instead of the panel, its a touchy subject around here. "From what I understand" UPS did put some pilots directly into the right seat around the summer of 01, then it came to a direct halt because there was no bid put out to the others on the senority list to upgrade... It was a backdoor attempt by UPS to cut training cost that the IPA put a stop to. All those that were hired into the right seat were soon placed into the backseat.

The second reason is this... Im not complaining, Yes Im happy to have a job and feel very lucky to not be furloughed. Since I and many other pilots have gotten hired here, all we have done is move backwards and loose senority. With no hiring for over 3 years, a shrinking number of pilots and record growth internationaly has led to many pilots having very poor quality of life (not to mention very low pay). No, we were not furloughed (but they threatened to furlough us) but being on the bottom of the senority list for the last 3-4 years as a engineer with 80% of the Capt retiring coming to the backseat as FE's and taking all the bidable lines except reserve has not been the best of all situations. Yes its sounds like Im wineing (and I am...LOL) Many of us feel like its finally our time to upgrade and let all the lucky others who get hired here over the next year tow the FE line... If you get a upgrade, great, but take your number and get in line...

We are all very happy to see anyone and everyone get hired here, WELCOME ABOARD!!! Lets hope UPS can hire 100 pilots without screwing it up...

BIGBROWNDC8
Here's how it went for me as a new hire in the summer of '01.

There where 36 in the class with 3 of the 36 going straight into managment.

On day 1 we were told that there were going to be 15 F/O slots on the 75. 4 747 F/E slots and the rest would go to the 727 or DC-8. Based on class senority we were asked to select F/O or F/E. If you selected F/O the company selected your domicile( SDF, SDF INT, or MIA). If you selected F/E you got to pick your aircraft preference. "From what I understand" the F/O slots to new hires were the result of unfilled vacancies from a previously posted bid.

I spent a little over a year in the right seat of the 757 and was then displaced to the panel on the 747. Spent a year on the whale and then displaced to the the 8 panel. Just awarded a bid back to the right seat of the 75/76. I've heard that by the middle of next year all F/E seats will be filled by age 60+ guys. If thats the case then new hires could expect a window seat.
But, if they start pulling airplanes out of the desert all bets are off.

Working for Brown has its issues but I'm pretty confident that its my last flying job. Good luck to all trying to open the door.

Latest resources

Back