• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Update on Pinnacle CRJ crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Coffin corner would not be reached in the CRJ until above FL450. As the previous poster said, it would intitiate a drift down if an engine failed.

I disagree. depending on which engine you lose the A/P will kick off. Any quick control input at that altitude may cause the aircraft to reach the coffin corner sooner.

Cappy said:
Coffin corner would not be reached in the CRJ until above FL450. As the previous poster said, it would intitiate a drift down if an engine failed.

Here's a theory: why don't we be patient and let the NTSB investigators begin their work and see what they have to say. I'm not trying to be a comedian, but we are all better at flying than investigating.

Nova said:
Wow, all this quarterbacking and it isn't even Monday yet.
Yeah, seriously.....

I don't care how knowledgeable any of us are about the CRJ, or high altitude jet performance. Lets leave this one to to professionals. Discussion among us is useless at best. Speculation based off of crappy news articles is assenine.

Take it from a guy who has been hand flying lear 20 series aircraft at altitudes up to and including FL450 for many years. An engine flame-out will not cause a coffin corner. I have had the pleasure of experincing many flame outs my self and never had a problem with handiling or speed control. I know these guys probably did'nt have a lot of time in the 390-450 flight levels. But they were professional aviators and I don't think it is right for us to try to explain what really happened to these guys. I also know there has been some discussion about this crews total time and experience. I have always been very outspoken against the hiring practices of regional carriers. However I have learned not to judge a pilot just by hours alone. The captain of this flight was probably a fine aviator and we should all sit back and wait for the investigation to unfold.

It's not speculation.....about coffin corner, that is. It is "defined" as an altitude where Mmo and Stall speed are very close together. At that altitude, any substantial acceleration puts you into an overspeed condition and any substantial slowing puts you into a stall buffet. Kind of a darned if you do, darned if you don't position. I can't imagine that FL 410 at ISA (or near there) in an RJ would be near it's "coffin corner", but I am not familiar with any of the aircraft limitations or performance numbers. If I am incorrect about the RJ and its altitude capabilities, I wouldn't mind getting some accurate info on it.

NO coffin corner

The CRJ doesn't have the power to reach MMO in level flight at 410, not even close, even really light. Let alone it was flight tested well above the listed MMO. Do you really think that the indicated red line is an absolute airspeed for airliners? I don't think the FAA would certify such an aircraft for passenger use.

Last edited:
I didn't say Mmo was an absolute airspeed. Certainly transport category aircraft can go above Mmo before they reach a overspeed buffet or mach tuck condition. Being as light as they were, they obviously were not in danger of a low-speed buffet, so they weren't in the coffin corner, no matter how you want to define it. I guess that is what I was trying to say. No offense.

"JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. — A plane that plunged to a fatal crash after both of its jet engines failed had aborted a scheduled takeoff earlier in the day because of an apparent problem with a mechanical system that distributes engine heat throughout the plane...

...Throughout Friday, nearby residents came with awe to scene, marveling at how the plane had managed to miss houses to its left, right and rear. Across the street was an untouched apartment complex.

"Ooh boy, it's lucky it didn't hit the houses. They'll be thanking their God," said neighbor Kathryn Hajaved, 72, viewing the damage in daylight for the first time."

This statement bothers me. Firstly, when airplanes lose engines, they still fly...they don't plunge. Secondly, the aircraft did not miraculously miss the houses, the pilots did. I'd speculate after the first engine failure they fired up the APU which would have given them the necessary power to have all of their lights on, along with the lights on the ground allowing the two to see the surrounding area. I'm a religious person, and I understand its right to thank God nobody on the ground was hurt, but its also right to thank the pilots for missing the houses.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back