• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Unofficial SWA Hiring Mins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Boy did I inadvertantly stir up a sh*t storm. I was not pulling a "civ. vs. mil" argument - it was merely the numbers from my class. By the way, out of the 8 military pilots they interviewed, they only hired 2 - so being military doesn't get you the job, just might open the door a little wider for an interview.

Am I a little dissappointed at not getting looked yet? - you bet! I spent $8300 dollars on a furloughed pilots pay for a type rating because they told me I was competitive only to tell me after I was there that I wasn't competitive.

I still think it's a great company with great pilots, I just wish I would have spent my money more wisely, that's all.

TV9Driver,

we're all just blowing off steam. Good luck and hang in there. By the way, how many space shuttle hours did you get and what did you log it as? Forget I asked, else the Saturn and Gemini pilots will chime in and start moaning about not being fixed wing or rotary wing.

kelbill,

Thanks.... I actually landed at another major and am doing just fine. I just wish I had spent my money on something more usefull like food for my kids...hehe

For what it's worth?

CAL will furlough by Spring...Just a guess. 1700 is competitive. And with the Apocolypse happening around Jan 1, 2006; none of this will matter, will it? Civ v. Mil or Gentile V. Hebrew?

Last edited:
At AirInc two weeks ago in DCA, they said 1600 PIC is the threshold for a call.

NEDude said:
At AirInc two weeks ago in DCA, they said 1600 PIC is the threshold for a call.

But not a guarantee for the call. A quick read of this very forum will show many pilot with many more hours are still awaiting the call.

enigma

Hey here is your chance to be happy. I am a military guy an civilian flyer before that. I did not get the job. Cheer now civi, cheer now. The reference that the military pilot is better or worse than the civi is two-fold. Coming from both backgrounds, I can say my views. The civi that flies for a 121 light-twin aircraft company flying RJs or TPs has the current experience in the operations that a major/national/whoever flies. The problem comes with the experience with stress during a flight. I can attest that when $hit hits the fan in a plane the military guy/gal will deal with it, in my mind since I started in civi and fly in the military and now am going back to fly more civi, better. The type of flying you have in the military from dropping bombs with people of the ground firing god knows what at you, or flying 300 feet modified contour on NVG in the mountains and landing on a 2500 by 60 foot unlit DZ dropping guys off to risk their lives to protect ours. Now try that with an engine out and you can turn back but the other guys on the ground are getting over run and these guys in the back are their backup. The stress level on an average flight is a little higher than going into JFK with low mins. But what is comes down to is the interview. I jacked mine up with SWA, just recently and I know a good civi counterpart that got the job and I did not. So there you go, not every military guy gets it. In this case the majority that got it were civis. Great guy, I wish them luck. The comparision between the 2 types of flying should not come into it. One guy sucked at the interview...me the others did not....them.

The type of flying you have in the military from dropping bombs with people of the ground firing god knows what at you, or flying 300 feet modified contour on NVG in the mountains and landing on a 2500 by 60 foot unlit DZ dropping guys off to risk their lives to protect ours. Now try that with an engine out and you can turn back but the other guys on the ground are getting over run and these guys in the back are their backup.

Wow. That sound so exciting. Do you spend a lot of time looking in the mirror admiring yourself?

It is tough but yes I do. Oh no a hair out of place. Need to get that fixed. Can''t go out not looking good. Buddy, you missed the point of the post. But looking at you profile, I can see why. There goes the sterotyping again....I need to stop that, but wait, it seems to be true.

Latest resources

Back