• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Thursday, January 30, 2014, 10:27am CST

United vs. Delta: The Super Bowl battle in the air
Lewis Lazare

Chicago Business Journal

Call it that other 2014 Super Bowl battle. The one that won't be making quite so many headlines. Still it involves a fierce match-up between two of the world's largest air carriers ? Chicago-based United Airlines (NYSE: UAL) and Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL).

While the Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks are on the field Sunday at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey battling to become world champs, United and Delta employees will be watching intently from the sidelines and waiting eagerly to find out which airline will be able to claim bragging rights as official carrier of the 2014 world champions.

The United cheering squad is squarely on the side of the Broncos, as the airline is that team's official carrier.

As part of its sponsorship deal with the Broncos, United provides a charter aircraft to fly the team to all away games, including, of course, the Super Bowl.

Normally the Broncos fly on a United narrow-body Boeing 757 aircraft to away games. But for the special, high-profile journey from Denver to Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey for the Super Bowl, the Broncos were treated to a trip on one of United's much-larger widebody Boeing 767-400 series planes, as well as a full crew on board ? at least one of whom was decked out in a stylish ensemble in white, orange and royal blue, the Broncos' official team colors.

But let's not forget about those Seahawks. While United was coddling the Broncos en route to Newark Liberty, a Delta charter plane and no doubt equally-attentive crew were flying the Seahawks to Newark as well. Of course Delta would like to see the Seahawks prevail, as the airline is the Seattle team's proud official carrier.

One shouldn't read too much into any one aspect of this behind-the-scenes Super Bowl airline battle, which is just a small part of the entire 2014 Super Bowl saga.

But it should be noted, just for the record of course, that the Broncos plane arrived first at a dedicated hangar at the Newark airport that is earmarked for arrival festivities.

Bye Bye---General Lee

"Of course Delta would like to see the Seahawks prevail, as the airline is the Seattle team's proud official carrier."

I hear the other SEA airline is rooting for the Pasco State Debate club at Nationals this year in Ft. Stockton, TX! Go Nerds! ;)

Last edited:
I goody they got to ride on a 76 instead of a 75. Bet the players could care more about a fart in the wind than what type of they ride on.

I'm just glad the Broncos got the benefit of a full crew on the airplane.

Wonder which pax flight DAL cancelled to make it happen.

Uhhhhh I guess you aren't familiar with DL's charter programs. There are plenty of different types of planes available, and many teams and sports are covered. You are uninformed.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Uhhhhh I guess you aren't familiar with DL's charter programs. There are plenty of different types of planes available, and many teams and sports are covered. You are uninformed.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I know exactly how it works, I was making a dig at you guys ditching pax in GNV for a team charter. Try unwinding your panties. Youre like a wind up doll that we can play with on cue.

I know exactly how it works, I was making a dig at you guys ditching pax in GNV for a team charter. Try unwinding your panties. Youre like a wind up doll that we can play with on cue.

Can you make another obscure reference that only you and a handful of other people only know about? Yeah, you're a genius, not.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Possibly the stupidest cut and paste ever from the Village Idiot?

I'm sure Jenny tracked the flight the entire time with Flight Aware and made the required Position Reports to his Mom. More meatloaf!

Latest resources

Back