• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United to buy 30 regional jets from Embraer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hate to quote Jeff. But since it was in the latest ALPA magazine. It sums up the old United wide bodies pretty well.
"We've had to play a lot of catch-up, particularly on the United side of the house, the old United side of the house. That was a carrier that has been bankrupt and had actually deferred a lot of things just like if you lost your job, you wouldn't remodel your kitchen, right? Well, we've had to do a lot of remodeling."

747- over $5 million a piece just to make them a little bit reliable.
767- complete gut of every airplane
777- the only wide body that did not need a complete make over in the cabin. But the FMC software was only 5 versions behind CAL 777. Mods are required to all the UAL 777 to bring them up todate.
757- Parking 3/4 quarters of the airplanes. Just to old to update.

Well since we have stooped to quoting Jeff like he knows what he's talking about lets try this one on...

Continental was ?simply too small to compete effectively on a global stage we find ourselves?
and that it was ?facing increasing competition, not only here in the United States, but . . .
abroad,? which it could not counter absent a merger. ?Candidly, Congressman,? Mr. Smisek
concluded, ?we are eking out a hand-to-mouth existence.?​
See C-Span Video Clip, Smisek to
Congress,
at http://www.c-spanvideo.org/clip/4005674 (beginning at 0:34). And for Continental,
after the Delta-Northwest merger, it had to have a merger with United; there was no other option.

See Darren Shannon, United Continental CEO is Person of the Year, Aviation Week, December

2010 (?If US Airways had succeeded [in merging with United], our only merger partner would​
have disappeared. There was no other option.?) (quoting Jeff Smisek).

Like it or not we needed each other. This childish tit for tat gets us no where. We, the pilots of UNITED airlines need to be on the same page.

I have no idea why when I copied and pasted the above quote why all those question marks appeared. I didn't put them there. I'll have to ask my teenager what happened.

This is coming from a guy who is claiming that United brought the Pacific to Continental?! Pretty sure you should familiarize yourself with a regular ole globe. We've got more to do with the Pacific than United EVER did. I've seen your route map; What do you see there that is so impressive?! Additionally, if the scope of your operation is so beyond Continental, how was it that our operating certificate made yours superfluous? Think about that.

I think it will be bk. Hope not, but I don't have too high hopes. These sUAL guys are clueless.

I guess you're right. That huge lift out of GUM with the mighty guppie is every international airlines dream. Talk about clueless.

That huge lift out of GUM with the mighty guppie is every international airlines dream.

Delta sure thinks so!! In addition to kicking our ass in every other part of the world, Delta is going after what we have in GUM furiously. And because our airline is distracted trying to make the sUAL product somewhat palatable, they are doing a damn good job. Guam and especially South America (or to you "Mexico") are key going forward. Places LUAL had no meaningful presence.

This is one of the many instances I've had lately where I realize, despite a large number of wide body airplanes, the average sUAL pilot has the worldview of a Appalacian hillbilly.

Last edited:
Delta sure thinks so!! In addition to kicking our ass in every other part of the world, Delta is going after what we have in GUM furiously. And because our airline is distracted trying to make the sUAL product somewhat palatable, they are doing a damn good job. Guam and especially South America (or to you "Mexico") are key going forward. Places LUAL had no meaningful presence.

This is one of the many instances I've had lately where I realize, despite a large number of wide body airplanes, the average sUAL pilot has the worldview of a Appalacian hillbilly.

A guy named FlopGut would know I guess.

Let the Brain Surgeons take care of the big thinking boys. You guys can do those island hopper flights all ya want.

Lets not forget who came running to who!! CAL was going to be blocked out of the consolidation game. We were less than a week from announcing a merger with AAA when your man came begging us to pick him. Maybe you should look at CAL's 10K the last half of '09 and the first quarter of '10. You had no more credit to draw from, no stop gap financing in place to pay for all those new guppies. In comes UAL with a credit line at market rates to pay for CAL's deliveries. The proof is in your financials. CAL was in better shape than UAL in 2008 but not 2010. CAL also had guys on the street on MAD and to boast about your intl' block hours is a joke.....Counting 30 destinations in Mexico does not equate to an international powerhouse.

So were you right sized for AA or Cal? I didn't know you were so close to another merger, wonder how the arbitrators will see that?

Lets not forget who came running to who!! CAL was going to be blocked out of the consolidation game. We were less than a week from announcing a merger with AAA when your man came begging us to pick him. Maybe you should look at CAL's 10K the last half of '09 and the first quarter of '10. You had no more credit to draw from, no stop gap financing in place to pay for all those new guppies. In comes UAL with a credit line at market rates to pay for CAL's deliveries. The proof is in your financials. CAL was in better shape than UAL in 2008 but not 2010. CAL also had guys on the street on MAD and to boast about your intl' block hours is a joke.....Counting 30 destinations in Mexico does not equate to an international powerhouse.

Here are the quotes from the United 2009 10k filing. Your right all was perfect at United Airlines!

"The Company may not be able to maintain adequate liquidity."
"Economic and industry conditions constantly change and continued or worsening negative economic conditions in the United States and elsewhere may have a material adverse effect on our business and results of operations."

"The Company?s high level of fixed obligations could limit its ability to fund general corporate requirements and obtain additional financing, could limit its flexibility in responding to competitive developments and could increase its vulnerability to adverse economic and industry conditions."

This was a general theme by all companies in 2009.

Shrek

So let us have all the island flying???? Dude are u flying on the cal side right now? You seem to be so anti-cal and so pro ual. So why the f..k did u come and lower yourself to fly with all us scabs. I mean seriously, just quit and wait for your real recall. When we first annouced we were going to bring you guys on I was really happy, honestly. But now seeing guys like you I wish we would have just hired off the street,.at least they would be grateful.

Has for the own vs lease comment. As of 2009 United operated 172 leased airplanes and 167 owned. Continental operated 185 leased airplanes and 152 owned.

So United leases 51% of its fleet and Continental leases 55% of its fleet. Looks like both companies followed a similar fleet strategy!

Please don't just throw out BS that your hear in the crew room. Try to do little research for yourself.

Latest resources

Back