• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United starts taking Pilot Apps on Monday

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
contrast this to my friend who just went back to the Bus based in DC, sleeping in the crew lounge, covering 3 airports, and hardly has time to do his laundry on his 3 days off before he's back out to "sit" reserve.. takes home $55K (3rd year scale).. thanks but no thanks!

Some contrast, your friend is obviously commuting to reserve, what do you expect at any airline??? I’m not going into details but you are about $16,300 short on your figure of $55K for total compensation based on today’s contract, and even this assumes on reserve and not breaking guarantee. I'm not defending the contract by any means, only illustrating that those on the outside looking in seldom have their facts straight and often comprehend only part of the story. Seems to be a lot of that going around on flightinfo these days.

Some contrast, your friend is obviously commuting to reserve, what do you expect at any airline??? I’m not going into details but you are about $16,300 short on your figure of $55K for total compensation based on today’s contract, and even this assumes on reserve and not breaking guarantee. I'm not defending the contract by any means, only illustrating that those on the outside looking in seldom have their facts straight and often comprehend only part of the story. Seems to be a lot of that going around on flightinfo these days.

Ummmm.....he did say TAKE HOME pay. I think that's pretty accurate.

GP

Did everyone get an email today from the UAL app site telling you to check your flights times because people have been listing them wrong? Just curious. Hopefully everyone received it. Thanks

Why?????????????
Why would you want to subject yourself and your family to a life of uncertainty, instability, low wages, crappy work rules, missing your kids plays and ball games, not making your cousins wedding, the empty plate at Thanksgiving table where you said you would make it in time, but now you missed your commute flight home and have to buy a hotel ,missing Christmas with your family, spending New Years, in a crappy hotels while your wife is at her works party with the new cute guy from upstairs, then when you get laid off, you wife is going to want you to step up and make some money doing what ever you can.

Whoa I got off on a rant sorry,
Good luck with your shiny jet syndrome hope it all works out in the end for ya

Wow - that is one seriously half-empty glass there buddy!

Yes, this career (term used loosely) has its drawbacks and risks - always has. If uncertainty and instability bothers you, stay away from the airlines. If being away from home bothers you, find a nice, comfortable 9 to 5 job. If what your wife is doing with the new cute guy from upstairs bothers you, get some counseling. Nobody is putting a gun to anyones head to make them apply to UAL or anyone else. Live and let live.

Did everyone get an email today from the UAL app site telling you to check your flights times because people have been listing them wrong? Just curious. Hopefully everyone received it. Thanks

Yes I received one, but when I try to get into the pop-up assessment, it says I have already completed it and wont let me back in. I think I did it right, PIC and SIC time only after you had your Commercial.

JetPilot Mike,
Do you list total PIC after commerical multi? I thought they only counted PIC if you were signing a release as CA or Aircraft commander. What did most people do?

…CRJ captain at a "major" regional (not Mesa). Looking to other pastures since UAL is out of the question right now… – Propjockey,

…just don't leave a good CRJCA job for it (IMHO)… – FMS-Speed.

Prop and FMS – call me crazy, and I guess maybe I am, however there’s not one regional airline I can think of that I would not leave if a major airline offered me a job.

My priorities would be: cargo airlines first (UPS and Fedex - of course I’m biased here ;)), followed by SWA, followed by one of the majors (domicile and where you live being the main decision maker here).

I don’t care how senior of a CRJ or an ERJ captain I would be at the time - I would still leave. My reasoning being – this is as good as it gets, versus, this is as bad as it gets and it can only get better from now on.

Of course, if you have family, kids, etc. you might not be able to take the big pay- and QoL cut, but that’s a different story.

This is just my view of course and I’m sure everyone is about to prove me wrong…;) Fire away…

JetPilot Mike,
Do you list total PIC after commerical multi? I thought they only counted PIC if you were signing a release as CA or Aircraft commander. What did most people do?

Well, any PIC time as a Private Pilot - United would not want you to count - even though you signed for the airplane.

This whole thing is a little annoying - if they want me to fly there - what difference does it REALLY make, 5,859 hours of PIC or 5, 437, nearly all of it in multis, most in turbines under part 121, a good chunk in jets - does it really matter at the end of the day.

I guess they just can't ask the chief pilot's sons, and all those squadron buddies that are barely squeaking by in one column or another to sharpen their pencils.

Later

Latest resources

Back