• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United starts taking Pilot Apps on Monday

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't make your career choices from what you read on this forum. I can only speak for myself, but even under this crappy ch11 contract, things have not been that bad. I'm a 737 FO and bid mostly reserve and over the past year I have worked an average of 11 days a month. Most days are also fairly easy 2 -3 legs. Layovers usually average around 16 hours. Our reserve is a 13 or 4 hour call out - pretty laid back if you don't commute. Minimum rest on layovers is 9 hours "at the hotel" and 14 hours at domicile. I know payrates are curently low, but be sure to add the 16% for the B and C plans when making comparisons. Now that has been said, lets get back to how bad things are.

contrast this to my friend who just went back to the Bus based in DC, sleeping in the crew lounge, covering 3 airports, and hardly has time to do his laundry on his 3 days off before he's back out to "sit" reserve.. takes home $55K (3rd year scale).. thanks but no thanks!

just curious....i dont meet the pic mins, but was thinking about applying just for the hell of it. will the website automatically lock me out or can i still apply. i dont want to start the app and find out i cant finish it.

just curious....i dont meet the pic mins, but was thinking about applying just for the hell of it. will the website automatically lock me out or can i still apply. i dont want to start the app and find out i cant finish it.

what do you have to loose if you try? I would imagine they do like UPS did with some pre-qualification questions before you can go to the main body of the app, but they're not going to get to many "qualified" applicants now I would think so your best time to try is now.. just don't leave a good CRJ CA job for it (IMHO).

Yes you can apply - I did...plus you're senior to me so I say GO FOR IT!

Nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

:D

just don't leave a good CRJ CA job for it (IMHO).
That bears repeating...

Several times...

Leave a $70-80k a year RJ CA position for something it will take you 5-7 years just to BREAK EVEN from what you WOULD have made by staying put, go back on reserve, min days off, bottom of the seniority pile...

At an airline that obviously doesn't know HOW to make money in a time when almost every other Legacy carrier IS, has an enormous debt load, a financial plan based on their number one cost item (oil) being 30% lower than it actually IS, and an aging fleet with no aircraft replacement orders with age 65 coming down the pike to further depress upgrade movement...

With the rest of the industry poised to hire in RECORD numbers... including several viable Legacy carriers and Major LCC's. If you're qualified for UAL, you're qualified for all these others, too.

By all means, go ahead and apply... you can't make a job decision without a job OFFER, but I'd think long and hard about it.

Just my .02 cents from a guy who's been around the block a bit. Your mileage may vary. ;)

That bears repeating...

Several times...

Leave a $70-80k a year RJ CA position for something it will take you 5-7 years just to BREAK EVEN from what you WOULD have made by staying put, go back on reserve, min days off, bottom of the seniority pile...

At an airline that obviously doesn't know HOW to make money in a time when almost every other Legacy carrier IS, has an enormous debt load, a financial plan based on their number one cost item (oil) being 30% lower than it actually IS, and an aging fleet with no aircraft replacement orders with age 65 coming down the pike to further depress upgrade movement...

With the rest of the industry poised to hire in RECORD numbers... including several viable Legacy carriers and Major LCC's. If you're qualified for UAL, you're qualified for all these others, too.

By all means, go ahead and apply... you can't make a job decision without a job OFFER, but I'd think long and hard about it.

Just my .02 cents from a guy who's been around the block a bit. Your mileage may vary. ;)
not to mention isn't management's number 1 priority right now to find a merger? Good times!

what do you have to loose if you try? I would imagine they do like UPS did with some pre-qualification questions before you can go to the main body of the app, but they're not going to get to many "qualified" applicants now I would think so your best time to try is now.. just don't leave a good CRJ CA job for it (IMHO).

The instructions clearly state "do not apply if you do not meet the minimum requirements". I would think it would disqualify you for not following directions.

say again why?????????????????

Why?????????????
Why would you want to subject yourself and your family to a life of uncertainty, instability, low wages, crappy work rules, missing your kids plays and ball games, not making your cousins wedding, the empty plate at Thanksgiving table where you said you would make it in time, but now you missed your commute flight home and have to buy a hotel ,missing Christmas with your family, spending New Years, in a crappy hotels while your wife is at her works party with the new cute guy from upstairs, then when you get laid off, you wife is going to want you to step up and make some money doing what ever you can.

Whoa I got off on a rant sorry,
Good luck with your shiny jet syndrome hope it all works out in the end for ya

The instructions clearly state "do not apply if you do not meet the minimum requirements". I would think it would disqualify you for not following directions.

I know that some think that it might show high interest and initiative to apply before meeting the minimum requirements. However, if I were on the hiring board and someone who was unqualified submitted an application I'd keep them on the "do not hire" list for sheer stupidity. If they can't follow simple instructions, how can I trust that they'd be safe flying my family?

If I were you I'd wait until I had the minimums and THEN apply.

Just my opinion...

GP

I know that some think that it might show high interest and initiative to apply before meeting the minimum requirements. However, if I were on the hiring board and someone who was unqualified submitted an application I'd keep them on the "do not hire" list for sheer stupidity. If they can't follow simple instructions, how can I trust that they'd be safe flying my family?

If I were you I'd wait until I had the minimums and THEN apply.

Just my opinion...

GP

My thoughts exactly.

Latest resources

Back