• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United starts taking Pilot Apps on Monday

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have never been so UN-excited about an app window for a major airline in my life.. SAD.. really sad. And they have the gaul to ask for "the best of the best".. for what? $1500/month take home with a slap in the face raise of $1000 for the 2nd year? Kiss my ass..

I have never been so UN-excited about an app window for a major airline in my life.. SAD.. really sad. And they have the gaul to ask for "the best of the best".. for what? $1500/month take home with a slap in the face raise of $1000 for the 2nd year? Kiss my ass..
What he said...

I at least put my stuff in when the DAL window opened, just to give me the option IF they ever called.

Haven't even bothered to go to the UAL website.

OMG, $1500/mo? No kidding? Good grief, and I thought that was bad when I was flying Twin Commanders. :(

When does the current contract expire?

You mean "becomes amendable" right? RLA contracts never "expire."

As sad as it be, its a given industry wide that first year pay is gonna suck no matter who your flying for, it be United , or Fed Ex, but is there any talk of fixxing 2nd year and up pay scales in the upcoming contract.....

Actually, I think DALs first year pay is pretty decent (relatively speaking) and that's coming from a bankruptcy derived concessionary agreement. Around $49/hour.

Of course SWA is around $52/hour.

JetBlue, $47/hour.

AirTran $43.

Yes, the so-called "Low Cost Carriers" have higher first year pay (and usually better benefits) than the legacy carriers. But to me, DAL is the shining legacy star if you will b/c they took it into bankruptcy and came out with a better CBA (pay rates aside) than most who aggressively bargained concessions to "avoid" bankruptcy. And they didn't sell out their first year pilots nearly as bad as the others did.

I wouldn't be ashamed of applicants although I am extremely ashamed of our contract pay rates agreed upon during bk...esspecially new hire pay rates. I'm guessing those rates weren't fought for that hard because no one imagined UAL recalling everyone that wanted to come back and then hiring on top of that before the amendable date.
Not long ago we did have an industry leading contract. That contract was gained by the many folks on our seniority list who were willing to fight until the company came back with that industry leading contract. We were beat up in bk. Not saying we couldn't have fought harder than we did because we could of but apathy ruled at the time. Our contract blows but we're going to do what it takes to get it improved sooner than later.
Agreed. Whatever you want to say about united pilots, at least they stuck together to get that great contract. I would be very worried to go to UAL right now. They just exited bankruptcy and are still losing millions. No aircraft on order. Their bankruptcy exit plan was based on oil at $50 barrel. It's been above $70 for how long now?

My dad retired off the 747 at United in July of 2001 (good timing, eh?). I'm currently an RJ captain itching to move on. I always wanted to work for United. My dad being there is what started me down this career path in the first place (would have gone military like dad, but my timing was all wrong).

I guess the point to my self-pity is that I wanted to go to United so bad I would have sold one of my children to get there 6 years ago. But right now, the idea of leaving my current position for United just isn't giving me a warm fuzzy. And it's not just the pay.

It just feels kind of weird having wanted this for such a long time, and now it's within my grasp. But I think I'd be a fool to apply right now.

Don't make your career choices from what you read on this forum. I can only speak for myself, but even under this crappy ch11 contract, things have not been that bad. I'm a 737 FO and bid mostly reserve and over the past year I have worked an average of 11 days a month. Most days are also fairly easy 2 -3 legs. Layovers usually average around 16 hours. Our reserve is a 13 or 4 hour call out - pretty laid back if you don't commute. Minimum rest on layovers is 9 hours "at the hotel" and 14 hours at domicile. I know payrates are curently low, but be sure to add the 16% for the B and C plans when making comparisons. Now that has been said, lets get back to how bad things are.

Latest resources

Back