• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United starts taking Pilot Apps on Monday

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is one of the reasons United is so screwed up in their hiring practices.

How can one possibly not be the PIC if you're the ONLY PERSON IN THE PLANE? Last I checked, they couldn't remotely take control of the aircraft if you screwed up...

Then again, if this is what you have to do in order to get over the PIC limit for UAL's application - maybe you should go log some more RJ time for a while.

Otherwise, if you don't need it to meet the mins, back it out of your time to err on the "conservative" side for their goofy logbook check. :rolleyes:

This is one of the reasons United is so screwed up in their hiring practices.

How can one possibly not be the PIC if you're the ONLY PERSON IN THE PLANE? Last I checked, they couldn't remotely take control of the aircraft if you screwed up...

Oh for the love of god...

...for once and for all, if you DO NOT hold at least a Private Pilot cert. and you are flying "alone," you are logging, by FAA def. "SOLO" time. Your CFI is the one who's responsible for you here. It's his/her signature in your logbook that makes you legal.

It does not, however, make him/her able to log the time as PIC unless he/she is really desperate. Amoral and pathetic, too.

So, to summarize, if you hold at least a Private (or Recreational, I guess) and you're flying your 172 or Duchess or Seminole, you're able to call the time PIC if that's what you're doing in the plane (i.e. signed for it).

Clear as mud? Hope so.

Now, can we get back to listening to all the regional folks rant on and on about not leaving their regional to go to United? Those RJ's are comfy!

Last edited:
Hi!

By FAA definition, solo is PIC. Unfortunately, we aren't trying to get hired by the FAA.

UAL, and virtually every airline out there, will not accept solo time as PIC time. The instructor is the responsible party.

cliff
YIP

If UAL's app specifically says to exclude solo time from PIC then of course that is what you have to do. If their app said to exclude any PIC that was flown at night, then you would have to do that as well. When you apply to an airline, you have to fill out their grid the way they want.

But unless they specifically say not to include it, then you should include it. Not to pad your PIC time by that small of an ammount, but simly to make it as accurate as possible.

However if they really do think that the solo student is not the PIC and the instructor is, then all CFI's out there should take their solo time out, but put in the solo time of all their students. :laugh:

The tricky thing with the United App isn't that they don't count your solo time as PIC - with the exception of a few desperate outlyers - it is pretty well established that solo time is not PIC time.

However, United goes one step further and says that they only want your PIC time AFTER your COMMERCIAL.

"Report only the PIC/SIC time since you received your commercial certificate or military wings"

MOD INPUT: GROW UP, WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE, AND ACT LIKE AN ADULT. NEXT TIME YOU WILL GET TIME OFF!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

I didn't think UAL would get lots of highly qualified applicants.

From another board...

]...word around the DEN training center (called "TK" by UA peeps) is that there were only 600 apps after the first 3 days - they were expecting 3000+.

cliff
YIP

I think you're missing the point. They aren't saying your time is not pic, what they're saying is that the only time THEY want to count as pic is...

It's their prerogative...

I think you're missing the point. They aren't saying your time is not pic, what they're saying is that the only time THEY want to count as pic is...

It's their prerogative...
Oh I don't disagree with you that UAL can make whatever requirements they want out of it...

I thought some people were actually on here debating that the pilot shouldn't be logging PIC time if he wasn't rated in the aircraft, i.e. a Solo student not having his private pilot's rating yet.

UAL has always had its own odd little hoops to jump through. The sad fact is that most EXPERIENCED RJ captains will take one look at put UAL at the bottom of their wish-list, just above SkyBus and Virgin America. Too many other good legacies out there hiring and about to hire, although I wouldn't personally go back into the red-tail system.

Good luck to all!

Personally, I'd still pick UAL over Skybus and the likes. Who knows, the future United NorthContinental Delta Airlines might have a bright future after all. :laugh:

Ps. Lear - Good luck with y'alls TA, hope you get what you deserve.

Latest resources

Back