• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Pilot to Upset to Fly!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If I have to start wearing my hat I may be too upset to fly also.

DTW320
NWA

I better not hear about you "cryin" when you have to wear your hat and Russian Sub Commander uniform at Delta......don't worry though, the chicks dig it....

Bye Bye--General Lee

If I have to start wearing my hat I may be too upset to fly also.

DTW320
NWA

I wouldn't worry too much. Just jumpseated on DAL this week, and neither the FO nor the Captain were wearing their hats. In fact, the FO was complete slob. Shirt was half un-tucked, tie was three inches too short, and his hair looked like it hadn't been combed in decades. He was one of the guys hired in the past year. Looks like the widget-heads have allowed their uniform standards to slip.

I believe this is the most retarded thing I've ever read. Airline pilots are always sending a "message" to a management that will NEVER get the message. Even if it were likely that they got it, are hats the best conduit for that message?

PCL,

You are such a badass for standing up to people that roll over for mgt for crazy $hit like wearing hats. I would put that right up there with crossing a picket line.

If the MEC tells you not to wear your hat, then don't wear your fu--ing hat!

Eh you're not gonna stir up any affection for ALPA by making them sound so...Orwellian. The issue is not whether you're "obeying" your MEC. If a guy is wearing his hat cuz he thinks it looks spiffy, whatever. If the guy is wearing his hat to basically say he's a management stooge, well I can't much blame other pilots for treating him as such.

I believe this is the most retarded thing I've ever read. Airline pilots are always sending a "message" to a management that will NEVER get the message. Even if it were likely that they got it, are hats the best conduit for that message?

United pilots have a pretty lengthy history of successfully tangling with hostile management. They've done a heck of a lot more to raise the bar over their history than, say, SWA pilots. I'm not knocking SWA pilots, just pointing out that you've been blessed with enlightened and competent management up until now. UA pilots have had to fight for everything they've achieved... and that experience has taught them what works and what doesn't. However trivial the "hat switch" is to you, the United MEC knows from experience that management is paying very close attention to the level of unity in the ranks. 1985 was 23 years ago but it's still fresh in many minds on both sides of the table.

Latest resources

Back