• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Pilot to Upset to Fly!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
United pilots have a pretty lengthy history of successfully tangling with hostile management. They've done a heck of a lot more to raise the bar over their history than, say, SWA pilots. I'm not knocking SWA pilots, just pointing out that you've been blessed with enlightened and competent management up until now. UA pilots have had to fight for everything they've achieved... and that experience has taught them what works and what doesn't. However trivial the "hat switch" is to you, the United MEC knows from experience that management is paying very close attention to the level of unity in the ranks. 1985 was 23 years ago but it's still fresh in many minds on both sides of the table.

Very true. Good post.

Eh you're not gonna stir up any affection for ALPA by making them sound so...Orwellian.

No matter what, ALPA always gets trashed by some pilots. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. If ALPA doesn't issue direct orders, then half the pilots complain that ALPA "should just tell me what they want instead of 'speaking in code.'" If they do issue clear orders, then the other half complains "ALPA shouldn't be so 'Orwellian' trying to tell me what to do." :rolleyes:

A friend of mine called in MAD one time and was fired on the spot it took ALPA almost three years to get his job back (TSA)

I thought the UAL pilots (et al.) though the heat wearing was a sign of professionalism. Advocating not wearing a hat to disagree with management goes against that very principle...shame [if this is the case]. At least they don't stand on principle, if they do, what is the heirarchy?

This is similar to USAir's "Fly Low" program where pilots are encouraged to leave their shirt tail sticking out of their zipper. If those guys will support USAPA, they'll buy into anything! :)

"ALPA shouldn't be so 'Orwellian' trying to tell me what to do." :rolleyes:

*snip*

If the MEC tells you not to wear your hat, then don't wear your fu--ing hat!

Didn't say ALPA's Orwellian, I think they know full well that they can't force the membership to unite behind the MEC. Your comment, on the other hand, reeks of authoritarianism and is likely to rub certain folks the wrong way. Yeah, some of them will be the usual suspects. There are plenty of fence-sitters in the industry tho and we need them on our side....

....aaand on second reading, I realize that I'm asking you to not use such harsh wording, using rather harsh wording myself. Forgive the intemperate tone.

....aaand on second reading, I realize that I'm asking you to not use such harsh wording, using rather harsh wording myself. Forgive the intemperate tone.

Not a problem. I get what you mean. :beer:

Latest resources

Back