• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United pilot gets a nod

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At one of my old airlines a FA would wear a nice vest (not unifrom, rather his own...it looked sharp) and would bring small vases with flowers for the meal service. Also his own, not the standard service...

Most pax know when a guy is going above and beyond, the concern is when a pax gets fustrated and says...why can't you buy us hamburgers like that other captain.... or why can't you call and get my bag pulled... I know you can do it...

It's too bad.....cause it is really mamagements job to fix this stuff stategically...not individuals on thier own accord tactically...

At one of my old airlines a FA would wear a nice vest (not unifrom, rather his own...it looked sharp) and would bring small vases with flowers for the meal service. Also his own, not the standard service...

Most pax know when a guy is going above and beyond, the concern is when a pax gets fustrated and says...why can't you buy us hamburgers like that other captain.... or why can't you call and get my bag pulled... I know you can do it...

It's too bad.....cause it is really mamagements job to fix this stuff stategically...not individuals on thier own accord tactically...

I agree.

I guess I'm done with above and beyond as well. Put out a memo to our crews and tell them if they leave their personal stuff on planes, I'm not going to spend my time trying to track their stuff down. If I do that, then every crew will expect it, right? "Good luck finding that cell phone, captain - not my job. See ya."

You're kidding right?

This is exactly what we SHOULD be doing. We get paid to manage airplanes AND people. I can teach a monkey how to fly a 767, dealing with people and having them enjoy their trip makes them buy tickets again.

No, not everyone thinks like that jackass at SPIRIT and honestly, most of our CEO and managers.

"We make the world we live in."

-NYB

While you're passing out paper hearts you cut out of the USA Today, you just missed your EDICT. The guy behind you in line said thanks. Managing people should be done within the confines of reason.

I guess I'm done with above and beyond as well. Put out a memo to our crews and tell them if they leave their personal stuff on planes, I'm not going to spend my time trying to track their stuff down. If I do that, then every crew will expect it, right? "Good luck finding that cell phone, captain - not my job. See ya."

Man, your missing the point. If the guy Im flying with or the FA leaves something behind, ofcourse Im going to help them find their lost articles. Heck, if a passenger leaves something behind, Im more than willing to help.

Lets say that the receptionist at the hotel that you stay at all the time gives you upgrades whenever she sees you....you get the big room all the time with the nice view and a fruit bowl of bananas and apples (and her business card.... wink wink) along with a huge jacuzzi. After many months, you check in and another receptionist (as cordial as the first) doesnt give you the free upgrade and she even tells you that the room is open.... Now your stuck in the little room next to the elevator and vending machines. You were expecting the nice room and its almost a letdown as you dont get the room that you were expecting. And your thinking, c'mon, let me have the nice room....the other one lets me have it all the time!

One pilot hands out bananas, wine and burgers and your in heaven. When the pilot on your connecting flight doesnt do so, your wondering why not....the other guy did. The thought of those bananas and burgers from the previous flight seems to over rule the fact that the other pilots got you to your destination safely and they gave good PA's and were professional as well.

Last edited:
Man, your missing the point. If the guy Im flying with or the FA leaves something behind, ofcourse Im going to help them find their lost articles. Heck, if a passenger leaves something behind, Im more than willing to help.

Lets say that the receptionist at the hotel that you stay at all the time gives you upgrades whenever she sees you....you get the big room all the time with the nice view and a fruit bowl of bananas and apples (and her business card.... wink wink) along with a huge jacuzzi. After many months, you check in and another receptionist (as cordial as the first) doesnt give you the free upgrade and she even tells you that the room is open.... Now your stuck in the little room next to the elevator and vending machines. You were expecting the nice room and its almost a letdown as you dont get the room that you were expecting. And your thinking, c'mon, let me have the nice room....the other one lets me have it all the time!

One pilot hands out bananas, wine and burgers and your in heaven. When the pilot on your connecting flight doesnt do so, your wondering why not....the other guy did. The thought of those bananas and burgers from the previous flight seems to over rule the fact that the other pilots got you to your destination safely and they gave good PA's and were professional as well.

I don't think I'm missing the point at all.

Seriously, how many passengers actually expect the kind of service this captain gave daily? How many pax have flown with this guy? Most of them don't expect it at all and could care less as long as they get from A to B relatively on time, get there alive, pay only $99 for the ticket and get to wear pajamas when they fly.

I thought it was kind of cool to see a captain out there trying to make the whole bus ride (not intended as a slam on pilots) a little better. That's all. Every now and then it's nice to see someone going the extra mile. It doesn't happen often.

Ouch...was that intended?

My point is management..... its too bad that employees know better customer service than the company.

UAL loves to use the Letterman FA... heck even SWA and NWA love to show that "customer service" example....

Everyone knows you treat your employees as you want your employees to treat your customers...

Last edited:
No no no,
The captain was Clarence Oveur, The "copilot" was Roger Mudoch, and the FE was Victor something.

Anyway, why do a few of you assume that he is neglecting his flying duties in order to interact with the passengers? That's the same type of assumptions that you hear on this site after every incident. Unless you've flown with the guy, give him the benefit of the doubt that he is every bit as professional in the cockpit as out of it.

Now, I worked as a gate agent for two years, and agree that one person within a team giving passengers the extra special treatment can create a sense of entitlement that can be very difficult to deal with later. However, there is alot more to the job description of a pilot than, "safely fly aircraft from point a to point b" and you know it.

No, a doctor shouldn't buy you a burger when you are waiting. But a good doctor will take the time (time he could be using in surgery) to follow up on you, to get to know a little about you, and to make you feel like you are being treated like a person, and not just another slab of meat.

In a customer driven industry, customer service is EVERYONE's responsibility, from the CEO on down. It's part of the job. The mark of a true professional is the desire to do what he/she can to get the job done, not worrying about whether poeple see them as a professional.

Latest resources

Back