• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United pilot gets a nod

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is too funny. A guy actually goes out of his way to make sure that his passengers are taken care of and...holy sh!t...wait for it...wait for it...enjoy their flight and the responses come flying in about how unprofessional and "disturbing" this dude is.

There is a reason no one is willing to pay the fares that you people think they should pay. If every flight had this sort of experience, people would pay a little more to fly United, I know I would. Instead I get the surly flight attendant that bites my head off for holding my son on my lap instead of my wifes, because that's where the oxygen mask is (less than a foot away)! It's called product differentiation and right now there is none (except for SWA who does the same sort of thing but on a different level).

This guy deserves a pat on the back, because it's obvious that he loves what he does and it shows.

Fine. Great idea. Excellent decision. Let's have this type of service on each and every flight at each and every airline. I'm all for it as well. The point being made here is don't have the damn captain of a 747 handing out coupons and bananas like a monkey at the zoo. The man is paid, albeit a lot less, to fly the aircraft from point A to B. He is a professional and it's time he acted like one. Make the calls, delegate the appropiate services, coordinate the perks, but for God's sake, leave the duties outside of the cockpit to your co-workers who are paid to do these jobs. Next thing you know he'll be running down the jetway to drive a tug to baggage claim to personally hand each pax their bag.

No but I have read several stories about Doctors who do things for their patients above and beyond sticking a finger up their ass and telling them to cough. The nicer stories get turned into movies with Robin Williams. Robin Williams sadly doesn't make movies about pilots, Wilt Chamberlain does though so that has to count for something.

You mean Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? "We've got clearance, Clarence."

Your day is coming over there at SWA...soon.

WOW !!! Deja-vu....I had a legacy Captain use those exact same words to me back in 1994....it was my last trip at that legacy.

However he didn't say exactly when this so-called "day" would be. Would the prediction made in 1994 count if this "day" happened next year? Or is there a statute of limitations on any such predictions?

You've made your prediction...and you stated, "soon". My question is....how "soon"? A week?...month?...couple of months?....by Thanksgiving?....Christmas?....Kwanzaa?....New Years Day?....Super Bowl Sunday?....

Who really cares what this guy does!!! And as a pilot, I'll take free food anyway I can, so good for him.:beer: I've heard of other pilots ordering pizzas for the PAX under the same circumstances, I just think its a good gesture on their parts.

Fine. Great idea. Excellent decision. Let's have this type of service on each and every flight at each and every airline. I'm all for it as well. The point being made here is don't have the damn captain of a 747 handing out coupons and bananas like a monkey at the zoo. The man is paid, albeit a lot less, to fly the aircraft from point A to B. He is a professional and it's time he acted like one. Make the calls, delegate the appropiate services, coordinate the perks, but for God's sake, leave the duties outside of the cockpit to your co-workers who are paid to do these jobs. Next thing you know he'll be running down the jetway to drive a tug to baggage claim to personally hand each pax their bag.

I think it's pretty unprofessional when you hop on a flight home, and you don't even hear the pilots, let alone see them! How awkard is that!

Since we're comparing this guy to a doctor ie, a "professional." What would you think if you were going in for surgery and not getting the opportunity to speak to, or meet your surgeon first? Right, because his job is to operate on you, and completely forget get about what you are thinking.

Good on this guy. Someone who enjoys his job enough to go out of his way to help other people out. I don't think for a second that this puts the prestige of an "airline captain" to shame. Jeeze, forty years ago Pan Am 747 Captains were walking through the with white gloves, people carrying they're bags, layovers in 5-star hotels, steak dinners ever night, limos to wherever they pleased, etc, etc. Ya, lots of prestige in the title today. Give me a break.

Lose the ego, and go fly from A to B because you can't do anything else. Robots!

Funny how you never hear of an emergency room doctor going out and buying 200 cheeseburgers for the folks siting around for hours in the waiting room. Oh yeah, that's because he an professional and sticks to the job he was educated/trained/hired to do.

When does he actually do his job and fly the aircraft from point A to point B?

You're kidding right?

This is exactly what we SHOULD be doing. We get paid to manage airplanes AND people. I can teach a monkey how to fly a 767, dealing with people and having them enjoy their trip makes them buy tickets again.

No, not everyone thinks like that jackass at SPIRIT and honestly, most of our CEO and managers.

"We make the world we live in."

-NYB

Latest resources

Back