• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United pilot gets a nod

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In all honesty, if I were on any flight that was delayed and the captain was handing out bananas and mac D's cheesburgers to try and make everyone happy, it just wouldnt look right. Sure, I have a sense of humor and all but I just dont think this is very professional. If I went to a gas station and they were fresh out of gas but the pumps would be up and running in another 10 minutes as they filled er up and they wanted to give me a cheesburger and some chips for waiting...well, I could see that.....but not coming from the captain of a major airline. Geeeez.

If I was on Flannagans delayed flight, why couldnt he go fish me out a nice filet mignon (medium well with shrooms), some garlic roasted potatos and a nice fresh ceasar salad instead of some lousy cheesburger? That would be more like customer service.

Along the same lines... how would you feel if you saw your surgeon cleaning up the operating room prior to your surgery? Would you honestly feel... "Hey, what a great fella to be helping out and cleaning up"... or would you be questioning the the financial health of a hospital that requires its most accomplished/educated/esteemed colleagues to mop up the goop from the previous surgery?

BBB

Agreed. I wouldnt be happy with that sight....it wouldnt look very professional. Its one thing for a hair stylist to sweep the hair around her chair but not a surgeon using the windex to help clean the blood off of the floor..........just like it isnt right to see an airline pilot handing out fruits and coupons and wipping out the cell phone to take a picture of fido. I mean, its somewhat silly to even think of picturing that even taking place.

Calling for catering to restock items left out is in the job description. Calling ops to have a bag retaged is in the job description. Calling to have fuel removed so that all paxs and bags can be accomodated is in the job description. Taking pictures of animals to be loaded in the cargo bin and then showing them to the paxs is not in the job description. Cleaning the cabin with the FA's after each leg is not in the job description. Spending whats left of your check on apples and big macs after your CEO raped you and all of your employees of pay, benefits, and retirements, is definetely not in the job descriprion.

Amen.

He wouldn't have to stand at the gate and brief pax when a flight was late, if a gate agent showed their face somewhere before 25 minutes to departure time. (adjusted for the delay even). What's the big deal guys- he likes what he does. I don't have a problem with this.

When you have one of the worst pax satisfactions going you need all the help you can get.

Can someone define "above and beyond" please for the rest of the group? Obviously, that work ethic is dead.

I'm sorry, I forgot. It's "me, me, me" now.

I don't see why all you guys have to be such d***s in response to this guy. He is going above and beyond the call of duty.

I guess it doesn't stroke some egos enough when a guy does this.

A captain of an ocean going vessel would DELEGATE customer service issues such as this so as not to denigrate (lower) the status of the captain (highest ranking on the ship!)
BBB

Ok Admiral. I guess some here have never heard of lead by example.

This captain is clearly compensating. I've surmised that what he truly lacks is....cynicism.

Dam, no wonder this industry is going down the crapper. This guy is taking care of passengers and enjoying doing it. The company is not making him do it, he's doing it on his own. Maybe if some of the "professionals" would do some of these things passengers would respect the industry a little more. And maybe just change the preception of airline pilots from a pompus a$$!!

Latest resources

Back