• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United pilot gets a nod

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For those of you who side with this pilot, thats great. But quick question for you...why arent you out there doing the same thing he is? Maybe your embarrassed to hand out bananas???

I hate to say it, but this day and age where people are so sue happy....what happens if he hands out some micky D's burgers that people get sick from or someone finds a little something "special" in that burger.....who is liable??? The pilot, UAL and micky D's are........

I am sure that many people laugh at this pilot and enjoy his attempt at making everyone happy. Inherently, there are other passengers who perhaps are a bit more conservative and feel awkward at accepting bananas and burgers from an airline pilot at the gate. There are other professional ways that a pilot can "take care" of his passengers rather than being a waiter and handing out business cards with name and number.

If this Captain continues to want to go above and beyond the call, that is his choice. Good for him! Might just defuse some of the feelings the traveling public has for us 'airline professionals'.

I might not buy the pax burgers and fries, but I'll go down and chuck bags, track down wheelchairs, let the pax know what is going on with a late flight with info directly from dispatch (takes heat off the CSR's), etc. So yea, I do just about the same thing as this Captain. Just because the company is run like sh$#, management is a bunch of a--holes, oesn't mean that I don't have some pride in my job, and more importantly, myself and my pax/crew.

Peace.

Rekks

Oh puhleez forgive me for YOUR inability to see an analogy! Imagine YOUR CEO scrubbing the toilet in the corporate office, emptying the waste baskets, and vacuuming the floors... all in an attempt to appear to be "one of the team".

BBB

My CEO passes out peanuts and drinks when he flys.

To be good or great at your primary duty doesn't have to put you above anybody else.

As far as your military analogy ... YGTBSM! You think you are Patton because you are an airline pilot? Patton was rough around the edges but he understood that respect is earned and not assumed. If cleaning the latrines was what was need to earn that respect he'd have done it. Of course that wasn't what was required, but as it turns out he did used to walk downrange during shooting practice. He showed his men that he trusted them and that he wouldn't ask them to face any dangers that he wouldn't. I don't know what your military background was, but you might want to review some of those leadership lessons. It is not struting around telling people what to do, or acting like people or jobs are below you.

While I do see what this pilot is trying to accomplish, it’s tantamount to trying to plug a dam burst with your finger. Yes, a pilot buying burgers for a couple hundred pissed off passengers makes for some feel-good press but does nothing to solve our problem.

We’re now at a breaking point where the government needs to step in and save our managements’ from themselves. You just can not launch hundreds of jets at a few airports and not expect major delays and gridlock. Throw in some weather and now the system is completely out of control.

We’re faced with severe ATC grid-lock and it’s not going to get better any time soon unless the government steps in. There must be some incentive for slots and/or encouraging the airlines to flying bigger aircraft into the jammed airports such as ORD and JFK. The passengers want cheap tickets, but at these prices this is the system we get and deserve. Unfortunately this is the service that comes with decimated pay, benefits and pensions. Anyone that walks empty handed onto any flight nowadays deserves what they get.

Finally, while this guy is out trying to be a hero and getting some face time, who’s minding the shop up front – monitoring the aircraft, checking notams, fuel, weather, coordinating with ATC and dispatch?? Oh, let me guess, the good old F/O at truck driver’s wages!!!!

BTW, off our message board, an old acquaintance of this guy think he is probably angling for a VP of flight job. Any UAL’ers know this guy??

AA767AV8TOR

If this Captain continues to want to go above and beyond the call, that is his choice. Good for him! Might just defuse some of the feelings the traveling public has for us 'airline professionals'.

I might not buy the pax burgers and fries, but I'll go down and chuck bags, track down wheelchairs, let the pax know what is going on with a late flight with info directly from dispatch (takes heat off the CSR's), etc. So yea, I do just about the same thing as this Captain. Just because the company is run like sh$#, management is a bunch of a--holes, oesn't mean that I don't have some pride in my job, and more importantly, myself and my pax/crew.

Peace.

Rekks

Rekks....I totally agree with you. There is nothing wrong with helping and assisting passengers at all. Making PA's is always nice too. As you mentioned, I wouldnt be handing out bananas, burgers and business cards though. But I would go out of my way to help others with their bags and find out about connecting flights etc.

Since we're comparing this guy to a doctor ie, a "professional." What would you think if you were going in for surgery and not getting the opportunity to speak to, or meet your surgeon first? Right, because his job is to operate on you, and completely forget get about what you are thinking.

!

We arent talking about pilots not speaking to the passengers....thats not the point. I agree that it is somewhat unprofessional when that does happen........ but how would you feel if you were waiting to see your doctor and he/she was running late and when you finally get into the office you are offered bananas, apples and/or a nice stale cheese burger to be washed down with a bottle of wine that was supposed to be for the patient before you.....all because you were patient in waiting??? Guess I would have to wonder if I was in a convenience store or a doctors office. As that is not professional, that sort of thing doesnt happen.

Buuuut, if that has infact happened to anyone at the doctors office, maybe you could leave their with a little buzz and a slightly higher cholesterol count.

Last edited:
My CEO passes out peanuts and drinks when he flys.

To be good or great at your primary duty doesn't have to put you above anybody else.

As far as your military analogy ... YGTBSM! You think you are Patton because you are an airline pilot? Patton was rough around the edges but he understood that respect is earned and not assumed. If cleaning the latrines was what was need to earn that respect he'd have done it. Of course that wasn't what was required, but as it turns out he did used to walk downrange during shooting practice. He showed his men that he trusted them and that he wouldn't ask them to face any dangers that he wouldn't. I don't know what your military background was, but you might want to review some of those leadership lessons. It is not struting around telling people what to do, or acting like people or jobs are below you.

ivauir... a little sensitive on this subject aren't we? If you enjoy scrubbing the latrine, cleaning the aircraft, folding the seatbelts (always thought that was a little like trying to put lipstick on a pig... but I digress), passing out peanuts, singing, playing guitar while wistfully strolling the aisle, stocking the sodas, throwing the bags, mopping the galleys, driving the tug, emptying the poopers, etc... have at it!

Once upon a time pilots were paid similarly to other professionals (doctors, lawyers). You can't demand to be paid on par with those professions and perform the labor of a janitor. See the disconnect? It has nothing to do with ego, or being above any task... that's a simpleton's perspective.

BBB

And when the issue of customer service comes up at an interview, your gonna say "F***K em, not my job", right?

I'm thinking this guy knows when he has the time to add the additional service. Then again I guess he could just sit up front and bitch,bitch,bitch about how bad his day is screwed up, that's productive.

While I do see what this pilot is trying to accomplish, it’s tantamount to trying to plug a dam burst with your finger. Yes, a pilot buying burgers for a couple hundred pissed off passengers makes for some feel-good press but does nothing to solve our problem.

We’re now at a breaking point where the government needs to step in and save our managements’ from themselves. You just can not launch hundreds of jets at a few airports and not expect major delays and gridlock. Throw in some weather and now the system is completely out of control.

We’re faced with severe ATC grid-lock and it’s not going to get better any time soon unless the government steps in. There must be some incentive for slots and/or encouraging the airlines to flying bigger aircraft into the jammed airports such as ORD and JFK. The passengers want cheap tickets, but at these prices this is the system we get and deserve. Unfortunately this is the service that comes with decimated pay, benefits and pensions. Anyone that walks empty handed onto any flight nowadays deserves what they get.

Finally, while this guy is out trying to be a hero and getting some face time, who’s minding the shop up front – monitoring the aircraft, checking notams, fuel, weather, coordinating with ATC and dispatch?? Oh, let me guess, the good old F/O at truck driver’s wages!!!!

BTW, off our message board, an old acquaintance of this guy think he is probably angling for a VP of flight job. Any UAL’ers know this guy??

AA767AV8TOR

Yes, I know Denny....he is just a good hearted guy, his wife has some Medical problems and he is a real family man.

Don't know about the VP rumor, but I will say he is a real STANDUP kind of Captain.

If I was on Flannagans delayed flight, why couldnt he go fish me out a nice filet mignon (medium well with shrooms), some garlic roasted potatos and a nice fresh ceasar salad instead of some lousy cheesburger? That would be more like customer service.

What type of red-neck orders a fillet medium-well? And who calls in mignon anymore?

Latest resources

Back