• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United or American?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In the late 90s the best carrier to go to was UAL; what kind of career has a late 90s hire at UA had? In the late 80s it was US Air. What kind of career has a late 80s hire at US Air had versus a late 80s hire at CAL? CAL was probably most pilots' last option. It's impossible to predict how a 20 plus year airline career will go. That being said, I think your total career experience at either UAL, DAL, or AA will be remarkably similar.

Last edited:
New hires at AA will in effect be the fifth group on the totem pole. AA, TWA, AW, and USAir seniority groups will mean a mess for years to come.

From just the few responses on here, it seems most would favor AA over United, but don't offer a lot of insight as to why. I get the argument of long term speculation and CEO's, but as of right now it appears to me that the pay, benefits and all-in-all, total compensation at United is significantly better, especially for new hires. Does AA have a contract negotiation on the horizon that I'm unaware of?

From just the few responses on here, it seems most would favor AA over United, but don't offer a lot of insight as to why. I get the argument of long term speculation and CEO's, but as of right now it appears to me that the pay, benefits and all-in-all, total compensation at United is significantly better, especially for new hires. Does AA have a contract negotiation on the horizon that I'm unaware of?

Yes, they have large contract improvements in place after the merger closes and will begin negotiations for a new joint contract with US Airways as well. Pay rates and benefits are comparable to United after the merger closes.

Pay Goes into effect in a few weeks, the mou has pay matching or better than united and delta by 2015-16. The retirements are more than either delta or united. AA and US have hired less than 200 combined in the last 10 years, while united (cal) and delta have hired thousands. Plus American/US have more airplanes on order than all the us carriers combined.

Sure it can all go south but if AA goes down I'm betting so do delta and united at this point.

Latest resources

Back