• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United or American?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
These questions are stupid. You're going to the one that hires you first.....period. After that, it's all luck.

There is plenty of overlap. Just because there are not nonstop flights that overlap doesn't mean there is no overlap. Also, I can't see how PHX stays the same size. See Cincy and Cleveland. All the gaps in Asia can be handled through JAl and CX. Gaps in the Middle East can be handled through Qatar. I'm not saying it won't be a great career but I just don't see more pilots needed.

These questions are stupid. You're going to the one that hires you first.....period. After that, it's all luck.

While I agree that most will go with the first that hires you, I can guarantee that there are people that have offers from both or at least interviews at both. For those people these questions are not stupid. Don't forget that there will come a day in the near future where most people will have offers from all of the "big three" and most LCC's if they want them. The purpose of these web forums are to research job information. I'm happy for you if you already have a job that you love, but please don't shoot down somebody's question just because it doesn't apply to you. If you are looking for a new job perhaps one day you will appreciate questions like this.

I'm just trying to gauge the general consensus of people regarding these two companies. Most people seem to think Delta is the place to be due to their pay/contract and their financial situation. American (just out of bankruptcy) and United don't necessarily have the same financial results as Delta (yet). Thanks to all those that have responded professionally.

This isn't just an intellectual exercise.

A Skywest FO with zero PIC recently had job offers from both AA and United.

While I agree that most will go with the first that hires you, I can guarantee that there are people that have offers from both or at least interviews at both. For those people these questions are not stupid.

They are not stupid if one really thinks they can predict the future of two relatively similar companies and associated career projections. Pick a base/s and a uniform that doesn't make your butt look big and your pecs firm and roll with it.

I don't think a new hire can really go wrong at Delta, United, or AA. Of the three CEOs, I think I'd feel a liitle better about having Anderson or Parker than Smisek.

The choice being AA or United, I'd personally take AA.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back