United or American?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

beechjetdriver

If you were lucky enough to have a choice between United or American(now that the merger is official) as a new hire (unfortunately I'm not so lucky) which would you choose under the following conditions:
-commuting to either
-could afford first year pay at either place

Last edited:
If you were lucky enough to have a choice between United or American as a new hire (unfortunately I'm not so lucky) which would you choose under the following conditions:
-commuting to either

United, hands down.

American, brighter future.

They've hired the least and have to most to retire. They are also the only one of the big three that can really heavily grow.

The new AA will shrink. If people can't see that, I got a bridge for you.

The new AA will shrink. If people can't see that, I got a bridge for you.

airgator, It is true that current AA routes may be be consolidated, but once AA gets Airways feed you can count on expansive net growth to pacific markets where AA wants to take a bite out of those healthy margins.

newAA has a lot of low hanging fruit available to it in South America and the airline is very lean with three fairly recent bankruptcies between the joining carriers.

Time will tell.

If you were lucky enough to have a choice between United or American(now that the merger is official) as a new hire (unfortunately I'm not so lucky) which would you choose under the following conditions:
-commuting to either

I would go with the first carrier that hires you and don't look back, but United seems to have a lot of weakness right now.

http://upgrd.com/aerospace/jeff-smisek-needs-to-step-down-as-united-chairman-and-ceo.html

Jeff Smisek needs to step down as United Chairman and CEO
By Rohan Anand
This is one of the most controversial and subjective articles I've ever written, but after thorough reasoning, I've concluded that Jeff Smisek needs to abdicate his title as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of United Airlines sometime in 2014.

And the sooner he does so, the better.

Nothing personal here, but I think it's time for the UA Board of Directors to hit the "refresh" button and replace Smisek with a much more effective leader who is capable of steering the World's Largest Airline towards a consistent path to deliver on all of its promises before the damages become irreparable.

"The Fish stinks from the head" (and yes, I said this once already over a year ago)

United merged with Continental in October 2010. Jeff Smisek, who hailed from the Continental side of the equation, was nominated to lead the combined company at the time of the merger closing. It was chalked up to be one of the largest, most complex marriages in the history of the airline industry, but once consumated, the sheer size and scale of the company would deliver immense value for shareholders and consumers worldwide.

The public wasn't unfamiliar with the concept of airline mergers, particularly in the United States. Delta Air Lines had merged with Northwest Airlines in 2008, and within a two year span, the combined entity was generating healthy, consistent quarterly earnings, streamlining costs and operations, and making continuous improvements to its onboard product offering, which in turn led to high consumer satisfaction scores and pleased Wall Street analysts.

But something in the blueprint of United's own merger plan was somehow horrifically flawed, because when the two carriers migrated to a single IT platform in March 2012, all hell broke loose. The aftermath entailed a year's worth of system outages, cancelled reservations, unacceptable on-time performance rates, infuriated customers and poorly-equipped front-line employees to handle recovery efforts. United watched its corporate base plummet as its high-revenue paying customers flocked to competing airlines offering elite status matches and other incentives.

As time wore on, Wall Street grew more and more exasperated with the tight-lipped explanations from United's C-Level personnel, and it became obvious that the entire saga could be pinned on pure management folly to adequately prepare and execute the merger in a manner consistent with what they had promised to the public.

(CLINK LINK FOR THE REMAINDER...)

Last edited:
Unless you're confident you'll get the seemingly random selection from the 11,000 pilot pool to interview at your airline of choice and then make it through all the hoops to get the offer, you'll probably take the first one that calls.

That said, you should hope for Delta, American, United, in that order. Their 3.5 years in BK did not fix the core problems and the new merged management is arguably even worse than before so United is likely to be bankrupt again in five years or so.

Here's a view of UAL's last quarterly conference call.

The fish stinks from the head

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back