United JFK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Moving on from JFK....

Pleased to get a call two weeks ago, have an April class date (barring merger, I suppose.) Still thrilled, honored to be joining this great carrier, in spite of lower pay. It's probably only temporary...

Does anyone have opinions about commuting to ORD or DEN from MSP? Looks like many flights to each domicile...bought house in last few years, can't sell without taking a beating.

Have heard about the Super 8 in Denver as a possible cheaper hotel for training. Any suggestions for first year survival?

Thanks for all ideas!

. Any suggestions for first year survival?

Thanks for all ideas![/quote]

HELOC or Mega Millions tickets every Tuesday and Friday.

Last edited:
Not trying to hijack the thread. But, for a new hire how long to hold a line in ORD I assume probably on the 737 or 320? Also if they are so short on 75/76 pilots how long would till you could get awarded a 75/76 slot in ORD? Thanks in advance.

Moving on from JFK....

Pleased to get a call two weeks ago, have an April class date (barring merger, I suppose.) Still thrilled, honored to be joining this great carrier, in spite of lower pay. It's probably only temporary...

Does anyone have opinions about commuting to ORD or DEN from MSP? Looks like many flights to each domicile...bought house in last few years, can't sell without taking a beating.

Have heard about the Super 8 in Denver as a possible cheaper hotel for training. Any suggestions for first year survival?

Thanks for all ideas!

Slightly off topic but doesn't UAL pay for your hotel during training? I have yet to go work for an airline that didn't.

They do not. Gulp. Six weeks in Denver, on own dime or credit card. On 32 bucks per hour base...
Heck, even my regional pays for new-hire rooms!

Next Bankruptcy, they need a new Neg. Cmte/MEC.
Looks like they did not save much in exchange for junior/new-hire hardship....

Whole buttload of jet time and PIC time but no degree...didn't finish so I don't think I can even apply to Delta....

Is there something that makes you think UAL will overlook your lack of a degree? I'm not casting judgment on degree vs no-degree, but back when I worked there everyone had a degree. An appropriate question for the current batch of new-hires is whether any have made it w/o a degree.

Is there something that makes you think UAL will overlook your lack of a degree? I'm not casting judgment on degree vs no-degree, but back when I worked there everyone had a degree. An appropriate question for the current batch of new-hires is whether any have made it w/o a degree.

A guy I went to college with got hired in 1989 before he finished his degree. As of about five years ago, he still hadn't finished his degree.

He worked the ramp at UAL, went to school and was flight instructing when he was hired as a pilot.

GP

UAL does not require one and I know someone who got in without it. I think that UAL will look at the fact that I don't have a degree but hope that they will appreciate the higher experience level that I do have. So they may or may not take me but at least they will look.
Most of the guys applying to legacies these days have much lower time than I do. It was just timing, I upgraded 8 mos prior to 9.11 and parked there for a while.

Last edited:
!

MSP-ORD: Make friends with Northwest. I took a IAD bid to stay away from that friggin commute. There are a ton of people doing it, my 2000 senority makes jumpseating and pass riding difficult at best.

MSP-DEN: IF you can get DEN it should be pretty good.

Welcome.

Latest resources

Back