United JFK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mr Hat

Been thinking about putting my stuff in to United....yes I am aware that they might merge with CAL.
How does the JFK base look for new hires.....anyone know the breakdown of equipment that is based there? What are the schedules like? How long to widebody FO? And if that wasn't enough.....if JFK is unattainable out of training, how long do you think it would take to bid over there?

I know that the answers to all of this are approx.'s only and anything can change but just curious as to how it's looking today.

Been thinking about putting my stuff in to United....yes I am aware that they might merge with CAL.
How does the JFK base look for new hires.....anyone know the breakdown of equipment that is based there? What are the schedules like? How long to widebody FO? And if that wasn't enough.....if JFK is unattainable out of training, how long do you think it would take to bid over there?

I know that the answers to all of this are approx.'s only and anything can change but just curious as to how it's looking today.

Why UAL? Even if UAL and CAL don't merge, there is very little growth and upgrade could be very, very long. Why not consider DAL? You could bid the MD88 out of LGA or 767ER/738 out of JFK? I think 767ER out of JFK is pretty junior and they seem short of pilots every summer on that fleet - you should apply ASAP. That way you get the widebody you covet so much right off the bat.

Who knows what will happen at UAL with or without the merger... I wouldn't recommend that move.

UAL or CAL, or DAL, or NWA or AA will all be the same soon. Meaning, pick the place that has a base and people you fit in with. Don't listen to idiots like that. The majors are essentially the same. UAL will be just fine. If the mergers do hit, you might be in a little trouble, but it will be the same everywhere. Good Luck. If it makes sense, don't look back.

Whole buttload of jet time and PIC time but no degree...didn't finish so I don't think I can even apply to Delta...otherwise I would for sure. I don't really covet the wide body per se, it's just the fastest way at United to get back to what I'm making now.

Mr Hat, JFK is very senior. However, IAD is quite a bit more junior. I know that DC ain't NY, but it's close enough that the commute wouldn't be too bad. As long as things keep moving along, you should be able to bid for a 767 out of IAD fairly quickly.

If I were you, I'd look for a 767 out of IAD and wait for a lateral to JFK. However, I think that you'd get a lot more international flying out of IAD than JFK.
You can't go into a 767 out of training; you'd have to wait until you're on the line to bid for one.

Why UAL? Even if UAL and CAL don't merge, there is very little growth and upgrade could be very, very long. Why not consider DAL? You could bid the MD88 out of LGA or 767ER/738 out of JFK? I think 767ER out of JFK is pretty junior and they seem short of pilots every summer on that fleet - you should apply ASAP. That way you get the widebody you covet so much right off the bat.

Who knows what will happen at UAL with or without the merger... I wouldn't recommend that move.

Yes. Because everybody knows being a Double Breasted Delta Pilot is the be all and end all in aviation. Why sell yourself short with a UAL, CAL or NWA... oops better scratch that last one.

Yes. Because everybody knows being a Double Breasted Delta Pilot is the be all and end all in aviation. .

OK, you've officially got issues.:nuts:

Back to topic. JFK used to be a sizeable hub for UAL. 747's to NRT, 777's to LHR, and some 767 service to SA. Now it's all 757 transcon.

I believe NYC (JFK) is now a 756, A320 domicile.

Is there an aircraft freeze for new hires at UAL? So if you get the guppie or the 320 when can you bid for a 75/76 slot?

Is there an aircraft freeze for new hires at UAL? So if you get the guppie or the 320 when can you bid for a 75/76 slot?

You can bid the 75/76 as soon as you finish training on the narrowbody. The 3 year freeze is lifted if you bid the 75/76 because they are so short handed in that plane.

The last vacancy bid for July had the junior award on the 767 in LAX with a seniority number around 7600.

As far as getting JFK as a new hire...yes it is possible. We had 3 people in my class (9/24) get awarded JFK on the A320 with an effective date of May 1st.

The new hires from the first couple classes that went to IAD on the 737 are all holding lines in March.

Latest resources

Back