• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UNITED changing name to United Express

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If UAL wants more RJ's then they better be ready to staff them with UAL pilots. The 50 seaters are history and you better believe that the 2172 furloughed the last go around will be DEMANDING LEFT SEAT Captain slots on any new RJ's for Express.

I know UAL-ALPA is already working on this.

ALPA is working very hard to guarantee Left seat slots at airlines that UAL only contracts with. We (ALPA) will force airlines like Skywest to make these slots available. Uh, wait Skywest is not ALPA, so we will find somebody to shaft.

Wow!!! Last go at this BS and we (UEX) gave UAL furloughees seats in the aircraft at higher payrates than other pilots in the same positions. Now we are getting a little greedy and DEMANDING capt positions this go around.

How about we (the express') get UAL left seats regardless of seniority when the economy turns around......

I agree it is a crap position to be in but some of the FOs at any express carrier most likely have been in their positions longer than the POTENTIAL furloughees have been at UAL. How would that work with the national seniority list that some have suggested? It is a double edged sword that we are sitting on.....UEX grows, no long term positions at mainline. Mainline pilots and unions should have never let RJ's fly under their banner with UEX employees, but they did.

Good luck to those involved.

So if I resign after 8 years and go to any airline, (SWA UPS FDX Emirates AAL UAL USAir you name it) I get to go back to a captain position at my previous carrier in the event the airline I chose furloughs me. Must be nice!!!

These guys took the chance to go to another airline. No one forced them to.

Most of the UAL new hires where RJ Captains for 7 to 10 years!!!!

Possibly true, but irrelevant nonetheless.

Your management (with permission from your pilot group, presumably) decided to farm Express flying out to OTHER airlines under a CONTRACTUAL arrangement. Unless your pilot group has a CONTRACTUAL arrangement with that OTHER airline, you have no more right to those seats than they do to yours. And no, it makes no difference who leased the airplanes or buys the gas or books the tickets.

Express carriers are CONTRACTORS to your management. Is it a good arrangement? I don't think so, but that's the situation. You want to dictate terms to another corporation, it'll probably cost you a lot more than you're willing to spend at the negotiating table.

It was the union that put you in this position. Plenty of union, as well as non-union, carriers took furloughees on and welcomed them with open arms in their rightful place and position. I think your argument against non-union pilot groups is faulted. I believe Skywest took more of your pilots(furloughees) on than any other unionized pilot group. I dont see how your argument against non-union groups carries any weight.

If memory serves me correctly, after 9/11, USAir pilots were the only ones that had a J4J deal. it consisted of 50% of the seats (CA and FO) on newly awarded flying. This was NEW flying that was over and above the contracts already in place. Basically, they bought the seats by farming out more flying to the contractors. Only contractors that agreed to the J4J LOA's were awarded the extra flying.

Catch 22, more regional flying meant less mainline flights.

Delta had some sort of pref hiring set up with some regionals but I don't remember any of them going directly to the left seat.

I never saw any UAL furloughies.

I would bet that SkyWest pilots would go for 50%CA and 50%FO per NEW 70 seats or greater with bottom of the list seniority and first year pay. I don't agree with this but I am sure that there are enough FOs that would see this as their opportunity to grab a quick upgrade, depending on the number aircraft, with guaranteed reserves. I donno, the last itme we did J4Js, it worked out very well for most SkyWest pilots. Maybe just a revamp of the old program.

Peealot, I believe that you are right. SkyWest had more than 200 furloughees from United. Almost all went back to United when they received their recall. I wonder that if they come back to SkyWest for another (hopefully short) temp job, they will end up turning down their next recall at United?

Latest resources

Back