United career progression

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

another cfii

Seeing that the other UAL thread has been flamed, i'd like to start a new one discussing what a newhire can expect for a career at UAL? i.e. seniority progression, newhire junior base, how long to hold a specific a/c?

Any useful replies are much appreciated!

Seeing that the other UAL thread has been flamed, i'd like to start a new one discussing what a newhire can expect for a career at UAL? i.e. seniority progression, newhire junior base, how long to hold a specific a/c?

Any useful replies are much appreciated!

I would say any discussion of progression, etc. at any legacy carrier should be considered in flux until the mergers have run their course.

I too am interested in those questions. Also, what about the "next contract". Is the idea to recover solely compensation, or to get that plus better work rules/contract as a whole?

I too am interested in those questions. Also, what about the "next contract". Is the idea to recover solely compensation, or to get that plus better work rules/contract as a whole?

Right now, it may take at least several years, maybe over 10 years to upgrade to Captain because of the Age 65 thing. You'll start off in an A320 or 737 in just about any domicile you want. You might be able to upgrade to 757/767 F/O in a few years depending upon how rapidly we grow or shrink. After the aforementioned several years (or longer), you're usually in a position to either bid 777/747-400 F/O or narrowbody Captain.

As far as what we'll get when our contract expires in Dec '09- who knows. I'd say that our pilot group is relatively unified, except for the 5-10% who can't do enough to "help out" the company. I would expect our Union to take a very hard line against the company and I would expect to get the best of what AMR, Continental, and Alaska negotiate, plus a bit more, as they will hopefully be done with their contracts before ours comes up. We recently got a pretty decent TA that will improve my paycheck by about 5% due to some work rule changes, so that is a good start.

A merger, terrorist attack, $200 oil, war, etc., changes all of the above. Hopefully some other UAL guys will chime in with their opinions.

We had approximately 80 scheduled retirements from December 13th, 2007 to March 31st, 2008. Not a single pilot actually retired. Not even one. UAL canceled the monthly system bid effective June, 2008 (bids are posted 6 months before they will need you). Our July bid had 65 (an ironic number) "vacancy bids." Not a single captain bid, and not a single B777 or B747 bid. Talk about the reality of the Age 65 carnage on our career progression slapping us in the face. Up until December 13th, there were routinely 20-30 new captain slots every month and another 20-30 wide body slots going to us narrow body guys. Let the stagnation begin...or continue.

Like other posters have said...The only way new hires will progress at a more normal traditional pace is via growth, and unfortunately United has zero A/C on order. The merger scenarios and how they will impact career progression at United are wild guesses at best.

UAL does have a lot of diversity when it comes to domiciles. At least if you are stuck towards the bottom, chances are you can live, or be based near where you want to live. These days, flying out of a domicile in which you actually live, can make or break this career. Commuting long distances will be death by a thousand needles. SEA is probably our most senior base. Need about 10 years, just to hold Guppy F/O! LAX, SFO, ORD, and IAD are all about equal as far as being a junior base, but much depends on the equipment you fly. The guppy is only based in IAD, ORD, DEN, and SEA. DEN and JFK are a bit more senior because of either size, or a lack of options in base, IE. no 777 or 747 out of DEN, so the 767 goes more senior there.

There is no seat freeze at UAL if you are on the narrow body, which is all you can get as new hire. So, if you choose, you can bid to the 767 as soon as you can hold it. It is actually not very senior, especially on the West coast. Just be prepared to fly a lot a 3 day Hawaii trips worth 10:45.

Like UALDriver said, we did just get a mid contract T/A which improved dramatically the quality of work-life on the Guppy and Airbus with the addition of monthly line pay guarantee and trip rigs. This will increase days off for us and result in an average increase in amount of pay for hours worked. These rigs will result in more pilots timing out sooner in the month and should be manpower positive for the Union and a need for additional hiring.

BigRed1

There is a 3 year seat freeze that is only released to bid the 767 only. Other than that you are locked. If you get the 737 and after your 3 year lock you bid the bus "No real reason same pay" you are locked for another 4 1/2 years.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back