• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United career progression

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Today, I received the call I've been waiting for. United offered me a job.

I know that there is always a possibility of a furlough. It is the nature of our industry. No company is truly insulated and history has proven that what is the greatest company today might be out of business in the near future. But, with that being said, United is rebuilding and I believe that benefits for pilots will recover and improve. They may never again reach the heights of the mid-90's, but it will be 10 times better than what I have grown accustomed to in other companies.

I am thrilled, know that I will enjoy flying for United, and will be proud to wear the United uniform. I've wanted this for almost a decade and now I will have finally have my chance!

Congrats on the job! Come here with your head held high. It's still a respectable job. You'll receive excellent training, too. I've been to Flight Safety, Simuflite, Bombardier and three other airlines. None train as well as United's TK in DEN.

Plus, those half wings are worth their weight in GOLD and free beer.

Cheers,

SCR

Today, I received the call I've been waiting for. United offered me a job.

I know that there is always a possibility of a furlough. It is the nature of our industry. No company is truly insulated and history has proven that what is the greatest company today might be out of business in the near future. But, with that being said, United is rebuilding and I believe that benefits for pilots will recover and improve. They may never again reach the heights of the mid-90's, but it will be 10 times better than what I have grown accustomed to in other companies.

I am thrilled, know that I will enjoy flying for United, and will be proud to wear the United uniform. I've wanted this for almost a decade and now I will have finally have my chance!

Congrats and welcome! I know there are some "issues" here now, but I have really enjoyed my time here so far. The training is great, and the people will bend over backwards to help you out.

Seeing that the other UAL thread has been flamed, i'd like to start a new one discussing what a newhire can expect for a career at UAL? i.e. seniority progression, newhire junior base, how long to hold a specific a/c?

Any useful replies are much appreciated!

The bad news is that UAL will soon be out of business, merged with another carrier after most everything has been sold off. If you're near the very top your probably OK, but for any recently hired pilot, as well as many others it will be a lost cause and unemployment.

If you have a choice, choose most any other airline.

If you already have accepted the job, make the best of it and don't pay any attention to this post. Maybe things will turn out OK after all. I doubt it, but maybe so.

Good luck because anyone working for UAL will need it.

Last edited:
Violet:
I interview this Friday.
Curious as to how far the class dates are from job-offers. When do you start class?
Thanks!

Jet pilot Mike speaks from experience - you speak trash
Let's see now, Jet Pilot Mike wears the Honda Wings, right! And what kind of experience does that indicate.

My message is clear, or so I would think.

It may not be such an automatic "no brainer" (as it once was) to move from an RJ Captain position making 85K - 100K per year with a nice solid Regional, to a bottom sucking 30K per year Guppy f/O position with an airline that is clearly in the process of selling assets like the maintenance base and possibly the training center. UAL long ago outsourced the kitchens, and more recently the company meteorologist and all the short haul business. The CEO is currently looking to sell anything and everything, plus has no new airplanes on order. Does that tell anyone anything? So you decide if going to UAL is a great move. But I'm sure that any pilot with his Honda Wings knows it all. You should surely listen to everything the new-hires say. UAL treats everyone great! Is that a joke or what? Please just ask any pilot who’s been there longer than a week if you want to ear a voice of experience! And yes, trash is the correct discription of the way many airlines treat their pilots. I wish it wasn't so.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back