• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United and Continental Talking....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That would be too much overlap in the Pacific.

You know I think it would be a perfect set up in the Pacific. CAL has Guam, NWA has their setup, both with narrowbodies. Overlaid with a nice network of widebodies...

Would make a lot of money.

Strategically, mergers between UAL/CAL and DAL/NWA would both work well. Very little route overlap (very complementary for both combinations with Asia and Europe operations and little domestic hub overlap).

The key to these mergers would be route overlap that would ultimately reduce consumer choice. If you can show limited route overlap and stronger combinations with limited job loss resulting, then your chances improve. Airtran/Midwest has limited overlap and the combined airline would be stronger than the two individual players. In the end it's about scale economies (reducing unit costs through better asset utilization across a bigger route structure) and improving customer choice without reducing competition...

So, when should we expect a public Jet Blue/Frontier discussion?

But you have the same problem as US/DA with one company flying B737'sNG and the other the A320's. Which type are you going to make the work horse of the new UA/CAL? We are talking about hundreds of airplanes. UBA757

CAL operates over 120 737-300's and 500's. Integrating UAL 737's wouldn't be a big deal. I think that if I were Airbus I'd be a little nervous of losing some potential business as CAL has multiple Boeing orders in the books and no interest in Airbus products.

With the exception of different variants and engines, there really isn't anything in CAL's fleet that UAL doesn't already operate.

IMHO, we need to go one step past merger policy and preempt these mergers with an actual seniority list for every possible combination. Take the sting out of whatever mgt might try to use to divide us. Additionally, we should push for a national air transportation policy that can provide clear cut guidance for mergers instead of Congressional whim. For some reason, they seem to want to want to block the good business deals, and allow the bad ones?! We don't owe consumers any more than they have got! Airfares are cheap enough! All manner of bums and dregs are "now free to move about the country" while our profession has become the most provisional and vulnerable service one can provide. Enough.

ETA Prater: <3 weeks. Let's support him.

AA will take Air Mic... (Sound of Arpey pulling out his checkbook. ;) ) TC

But you have the same problem as US/DA with one company flying B737'sNG and the other the A320's. Which type are you going to make the work horse of the new UA/CAL? We are talking about hundreds of airplanes. UBA757

Certainly not a small hurdle. Obviously fleet simplification would be a goal of any merger. I presume that some of these airframes will need to be retired at some point. The combined airline would probably look for a big deal from either Airbus or Boeing to replace a large chunk of the fleet over time. Boeing is considering a narrowbody replacement for the entire 737 line but it would not be available for the next 5+ years. That time frame could work.

I believe Kellner would be the ultimate CEO in this merger if it happened and he is a Boeing fan - so, I would expect Boeings in the long term.

AA717,

I like everyone saying that there will be no furloughes from this merger and that everything will work out fine. It worked out great for us at TWA.

I guess since ALPA thought it was okay for AA to integrate us via a 9:1 (or close to it) ratio we should expect the same if we (CAL) do the buying. Let's see, I've been here alittle over a year, so that should put me somewhere near 757 captain at the "new" airline. I would expect ALPA would have no problem with that since the bar was set there in 2001.

I hope this doesn't happen because it would be a huge brick wall to everyone recently (since May 2005) hired at CAL. We would have a senority number that looks like a zip code. Our upgrade would come to a sceetching halt.

"Serenity Now, Serenity Now"

Can someone tell me what the deal is with NWA's power to void and CAL merger?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back