United and Continental - Scope is NOT for Sale

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skywdriver

There are a million things that are going to happen regarding this merger over the next two years, but the biggest impact is going to be from whether or not we take the stance right now that scope is not and will never be for sale by this joint pilot group.

We have the chance to get something back now that has been degrading this profession since 9/11. Let's do something about it. Please call your reps and tell them that a contract with scope relief is a no vote regardless of any other content.

Do not let management "manage" our expectations in the new contract. They are the ones under pressure from Wall Street to get this thing done the Delta way, and that includes a contract.

Lets get a contract that eliminates all 70 seat flying at the expiration of each agreement; one that contains solid work rules and will provide some career stability (at least to the extent possible). I understand that those guys who are just around for 5-10 more years may be more interested in dollars, but I ask all of you to consider the future of this profession before you vote with your wallet. Many have sacrificed in the past so that we might have a smoother, safer, and better future as pilots.

We stand at a fork in the road right now. We have negotiating power as labor is required to make this deal shine to Wall Street. Let's make the right decision and set this career back on the right path. If we as a pilot group of 11,000 cannot take back some of what has been given with the leverage that we hold right now, then we have most certainly failed.

Someone please post this on each individual airline forum, and anywhere else it might motivate some to take action. We need to take charge of this situation and join together to create an airline we can be proud to spend the rest of our careers at. We hold the cards, lets play them wisely as many other pilots, both current and future are depending on us.

The CAL reps have already commited to this. Any TA with scope relief allowing the new carrier to fly anything larger than a 50 RJ will never make it out of the MEC.

Last edited:
The CAL reps have already commited to this. Any TA with scope relief allowing the new carrier to fly anything lather than a 50 RJ will never make it out of the MEC.

Sure hope your right about that. If they sell us out again and this time with scope then its time for some union house cleaning.

Sure hope your right about that. If they sell us out again and this time with scope then its time for some union house cleaning.

the more we get on board, the better. an extra call to the union never hurts. i want to see the UAL side making a similar statement, so the company can keep from wasting our time with any contract offer that allows more scope relief.

You guys are gonna get hosed, divide and conquer. I know UAL mgt is a little slow on on the uptake, but I am willing to bet they might have learned something from watching NW, Delta and every regional airline flying screw their pilots. Considering that the economy is still in the crapper and ALPA is as useless as ever; plus you have 60+ y/o who run the union are even more greedy than before (pension cuts, stock market crash).
Your union reps will sell the 10 year and junior pilots down the river for a extra day off. If you are one of the THOUSANDS on furlough. Forget it, use your state beni's and learn how to do something useful, or get a job with the county holding a shovel. Its no longer a career or profession, its a %#$ty job, if you think otherwise ask your husband/wife or kids if the they think its worth it. Money isn't everything, doesn't even pay that well anymore, certainly not enough to justify the QOL

I talked to my CAL Reps in EWR and they will not budge on SCOPE. They have assured me they will even use their roll call vote to block any TA that gives up SCOPE. The biggest obstacle will be trying to reverse the damage done in UAL's SCOPE. I realize that is was done with the threat of a bankruptcy judge holding a gun to their head, but nevertheless, the damage must be undone. I was told that putting freezes on the current UAL 70-seaters and letting the contracts expire will be the initial plan.

I personally think that we should require them to park all planes over 50 seats immediately regardless of the contracts they signed. But the problem is the NMB may not view it that way.

I think this shows how important SCOPE really is. And once you have given it up, or portions of it up, an incredible amount of negotiating capital is required to get it back.

Even the CAL SCOPE is not perfect. We need to get rid of the 70-seat turboprops too, although they are not as much of a threat as the 70-seat jets, due to the limited range of the turboprops.

Kudos to the CAL MEC. You guys need to take back ALPA from Lee Moak and those management lapdogs at the DAL MEC.

You guys are gonna get hosed, divide and conquer. I know UAL mgt is a little slow on on the uptake, but I am willing to bet they might have learned something from watching NW, Delta and every regional airline flying screw their pilots. Considering that the economy is still in the crapper and ALPA is as useless as ever; plus you have 60+ y/o who run the union are even more greedy than before (pension cuts, stock market crash).
Your union reps will sell the 10 year and junior pilots down the river for a extra day off. If you are one of the THOUSANDS on furlough. Forget it, use your state beni's and learn how to do something useful, or get a job with the county holding a shovel. Its no longer a career or profession, its a %#$ty job, if you think otherwise ask your husband/wife or kids if the they think its worth it. Money isn't everything, doesn't even pay that well anymore, certainly not enough to justify the QOL

You obviously don't have a clue about how times are changing here. We now have reps in place that are willing to defend scope and protect each and every one of our pilots, from the senior guys to those of us like myself who have only been here a few years. I have the utmost confidence that they will do there best to once and for all provide us with the contract that we have fought for and deserve. SCOPE IS NOT FOR SALE.

Latest resources

Back